Research and Innovation
A Top Research University
- Second in the nation in research funding received for aerospace engineering (National Science Foundation's 2008 fiscal year report, Aug. 2010)
- The Center for Integrated BioSystems at USU landed in Popular Science magazine's list of the nation's Top 30 Awesome College Labs.
- USU researchers are involved with the restoration of Gorongosa National Park in Mozambique. The project has been featured by National Geographic, 60 Minutes, Smithsonian magazine, and more.
- USU's Space Dynamics Lab worked with NASA to launch a satellite that mapped an infrared atlas of the entire sky. During 2010, the satellite photographed hundreds of millions of objects and indentified 19 new comets.
- 10th in the nation among Colleges of Education for external research funding, Emma Eccles Jones College of Education (U.S. News and World Report, America's Best Graduate Schools, 2010 edition)
- USU researchers were instrumental in bringing the first commercial wind farm to Utah.
Researchers at USU were the first to clone a member of the equine family and continue to produce up to 600 cloned embryos a week. They've also been involved with the pre-clinical development of several FDA-approved drugs, including Tamiflu, which was recently used to combat H1N1.
One example of USU's commitment to international research is its water lab, which has improved conditions for millions of people in more than 75 countries. A variety of programs encourage students from all backgrounds to get involved internationally as well.
USU's undergraduate research program is the second oldest in the country, after MIT's. More than a fourth of all undergrads perform their own research, and well over a thousand undergrads are employed in paid research positions each year.
Innovators at USU apply for and receive numerous patents each year for such useful inventions as cancer-fighting compositions, a particle concentration device for manufacturing pharmaceuticals, and cheese with superior melting and baking properties.