The current version of the Utah State University homepage and its 21 associated "audience and information" pages were launched in November 2010. It was designed by the Webmaster’s Office within the Office of Public Relations and Marketing, with feedback and support from IT web developers and designers, students groups, and web managers. The maintenance of the pages is a shared effort between Public Relations and Marketing and many offices across campus.
The homepage is the central gateway of a larger visual identity system, which provides a common web template and graphic elements, with a goal of maintaining consistency across the central university website.
The pages are built around the standards of the World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) HyperText Markup Language (HTML) 4.01 and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) allowing for compatibility with assistive technologies (such as screen readers) and mobile devices.
These pages are designed to be viewed by all modern standards-compliant web browsers. 1024 x 768 pixels is the minimum recommended viewing size but 1280 x 1024 is recommended for optimal viewing.
Primary Goals of the Redesign:
- To bring the site into conformity with the most recent recommendations of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), adjust the pages to the more common screen sizes in use today (1024px is a minimum resolution in most cases), and comply with web standards and accessibility standards.
- To "refresh" the current look and feel with a cleaner and more aerated design.
- To improve navigation and information provided to prospective students and faculty. A series of "information portals" have been created to meet this goal. These portals should help better represent the opportunities and unique characteristics offered by Utah State University, its academic excellence and the quality of its campus life.
- To enhance the brand identity that was brought by the previous template and design. The template has been simplified but retains more layout options available to web managers. The new template will be deployed to all central administration websites to ensure consistency across the first levels of the university website.
- To better integrate dynamic content and multimedia such as photo galleries, videos, social media, university calendar and news, within the first levels of the website.
The University Homepage:
The Homepage is the primary page of a larger visual identity system, which provides common web templates and graphic elements to maintain consistency across all central administration sites. The university homepage focuses on the university news, events happening on campus, marketing messages and major university achievements. It also acts as a gateway to the USU websites by providing a relevant navigation to prospective and current students, faculty and other visitors.
Secondary Portal Pages:
A series of information and audience portal pages have been developed to help users discover USU and navigate to the relevant information.
- About USU/USU at Glance
- History and Traditions
- Research and Innovation
- Learning at USU/Academics
- Search for Degrees
- Colleges and Departments
- Student Life/Student Experience
- Living on Campus
- Clubs and Student Involvement
- Recreation and Wellness
- Campus Services
- Visit Campus
- Arts and Culture
- Offices and Services
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
- Alumni and Friends
- Community and Visitors