Utah Residency Status
Are you a resident of Utah?Yes, I am a resident
The Nonresident Legacy Waiver is only for Utah nonresidents.
Legacy Nonresident WaiverThe Legacy Nonresident Waiver may be awarded to undergraduate nonresidents who have at least one parent or grandparent who graduated from Utah State University.
- Submit an online application for the Alumni Legacy Nonresident Waiver before the deadline - August 1, 2018 for Fall 2018 students.
- Apply to USU as a first-time undergraduate student.
- Have at least one parent or grandparent who earned an associate degree or higher from Utah State University.
- Meet general scholarship eligibility requirements.
Option 1: Receive a legacy waiver for 1 year, allowing you to pay resident tuition. The time on the Legacy Waiver will count towards the time requirement to establish Utah residency. This is a 1 year waiver and cannot be renewed. To continue paying resident tuition a second year, Utah residency must be established, see usu.edu/residency.
Option 2: Receive a legacy waiver for 4 years. This legacy waiver will waive 50% of the total nonresident tuition charge each semester. While on this waiver, students are not eligible to establish Utah residency.
RequirementsFreshmen: 90 index score, or admissible
Transfer: 2.5 GPA, or admissible
- USU students already enrolled on the Legacy Waiver are not currently allowed to establish residency.
- International students should contact Ben Wilkey for application information.
- Time spent in Utah on the Alumni Legacy Nonresident Waiver MAY be counted towards establishing resident student status. If you would like to discuss other options, please contact Nicole Larson.
- The Alumni Legacy Nonresident Waiver was implemented July 1, 2009 and made possible by the signing of House Bill 364. The addition of grandparents to the waiver was implemented July 1, 2013 and made possible by the signing of Senate Bill 51. House Bill 349 will be implemented July 1, 2018 and allows an option for establishing Utah residency.
- Other requirements may apply. For further scholarship information, please contact the USU Admissions Office at 800.488.8108 or visit us in person at the Taggart Student Center, Room 102.