Advising Center

Utah State University Logo

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q:  How do I find my academic advisor?

A:  The list of advisors for each department/major can be found in the online General Catalog.  Students who have not decided on a major are advised by University Advising.  The advisors can be found at the same website.

Q:  How do I get my registration hold removed?

A:  Contact your major advisor to determine why you have a hold and how to have it released.

Q:  What classes should I take?

A:  Your advisor will be able to help you choose classes for your major.  If you are undeclared he/she will be able to help you choose classes for general education but also to help you with major exploration.  Do not rely on friends, siblings, or yourself to select classes as advisors are trained with the most up-to-date information to best help you.

Q:  When can I register for classes?

Students are assigned a registration date each semester that is based on class standing (senior, junior, sophomore, freshman). Click here for current registration dates. You can register using the ACCESS Registration website or in person in the Taggart Student Center 204.

Q:  When is the last day to add or drop classes?

A:  Specific registration dates may be found here.

Q:  How many credits should I take?

A:  To be considered a full time student, you will need to take 12 credits per semester.  However, some of the scholarship or financial aid packages have specific credit loads.  To be done in four years, a student should take an average of 15 credits per semester.

Q:  What do I do if classes are full?

A:  Many courses offer electronic waitlisting.  Complete Instructions for waitlisting a class can be found on the Registrar’s website. 

Q:  Should I repeat a class?

A:  Check with your major advisor.  This will depend on the class, the GPA and the number of courses already repeated.  Generally the number of times a student can take a course is limited to three times (once, plus two repeats).  The total number of repeats allowed at the University is limited to ten.  Some colleges and departments have specific guidelines for repeating courses and the number of repeats allowed.

Q:  I have heard that if I am undeclared I need to choose a major by the time I have 60 credits.  Is this true?

A:  Yes.  If you are an undeclared student we strongly encourage you to move into a major.  A student cannot graduate as an undeclared student.  According to the Board of Regents policy, in-state students who reach a 170 credits will be assessed a 170-credit maximum credit surcharge.  It is imperative that students have a plan so they won’t be assessed out-of-state tuition.  Please talk to your advisor to explore your options.

Q:  How do I change my major?

A:  The process to change your major is:

  1. Print the Change of Matriculation form.
  2. See your intended major advisor to determine if you meet the requirements to be accepted to the major and have him/her sign the form.
  3. See your current major advisor for his/her signature.
  4. Submit the form to the Registrar’s Office.

Q:  How do I know which math class to take?

A:  Contact the Math Department for information regarding individual situations.

Q:  How can I explore different majors?

A:  There are many resources available to you to explore majors:

  1. Career Services
  2. Degree Finder
  3. USU General Catalog
  4. University Advising

Q:  Where can I find information about the Interdisciplinary Studies Major?

A:  The Interdisciplinary Studies major allows students to create an individualized degree for which existing USU majors do not meet their needs.  Students who think the Interdisciplinary Studies major may be right for them should contact the advisor in the college where their main interests lie.