Utah State University Alumni Association

Utah State University Logo

Alumni Membership

Utah State University Alumni Association

CONNECT WITH US

LinkedIn Facebook Twitter Flickr YouTube RSS

Scholarship Application Information



IMPORTANT DATES
September 7 Scholarship application available
February 1 Scholarship application deadline - applications must be filled out online
April 1 Scholarship award letters sent


Frequently Asked Questions


Who can apply?


Students must meet the following criteria to be considered for a chapter scholarship:

  • Living in an area with a chartered alumni chapter. If you do not live in a chapter area, your application will be considered by the Aggie Emeriti Chapter
  • Be an incoming freshman or transfer student (can not have previously attended Utah State University)
  • Be a child or grandchild of a Utah State alumnus

How are the applications judged?


Each Alumni Chapter Scholarship Committee has their own judging structure. Most are not strictly based on grades and ACT/SAT scores. Extracurricular, leadership, and volunteer experience are also evaluated.


How are the scholarships awarded?


The scholarship applications are sent to their respective Alumni Chapter Scholarship Committee. The committee reviews the scholarships and send their recommendations to the Alumni Relations Office. Upon approval from the Alumni Relations and Recruitment Offices, the Alumni Relations Office sends the award letters to the recipients.


How many scholarship are awarded?


The number of scholarships awarded vary from year to year and depend on the amounts raised by the chapters. Typically about 35% of our scholarships are awarded to students who are non-residents of Utah, the remaining 65% of our scholarships are awarded to Utah residents. In 2008, 12 regional in-state chapters awarded a total of 50 scholarships and 8 out-of-state chapters awarded a total of 28 scholarships. The remaining 12 scholarships were awarded by the Aggie Emeriti Chapter and the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Foundation.

In addition to regional chapter scholarships, the Aggie Emeriti Chapter and Sigma Alpha Epsilon Foundation award scholarships.

The Aggie Emeriti Chapter awards scholarships to descendants of retired faculty/staff and to those scholarship applicants who do not live in an active Aggie chapter area. Applicants need to fill out the Alumni Legacy scholarship form and fill in the information regarding their parent or grandparent who retired from USU. The Alumni Relations Office will distribute the applications for those who do not live in an active Aggie chapter area.

The Sigma Alpha Epsilon Foundation awards scholarships to descendants of former fraternity members. A different application is required for this scholarship. Click here to find out more about the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Foundation and the scholarship offered.


How much are the scholarships?


They range from $500 to $1,000 for Utah residents and non-residents.


How do I get an application?


Online applications are available now. The deadline to apply for the 2013-2014 academic year is February 1, 2013.


How do I complete my application?


Applications must be completed online.


When will I be notified?


The Alumni Relations Office will begin sending award letters as soon as the Aggie chapters send their recommendations to their office. Letters are mailed around April 1. If any recipient declines the scholarship, the award will go to the next applicant on the list. The Alumni Relations Office will not send out letters stating the applicant has not received a scholarship until the re-award process is complete. This may take until mid-May.