- Friday (morning and afternoon) and Saturday (morning and afternoon), there will be four background working sessions. These will be devoted to participants articulating their individual interests and concerns relevant to the conference themes in order to discover points of overlap and divergence. (To refresh your memory...the three themes we laid out at the beginning are 1) universals and diversity in the uses of immaturity, 2) the usefulness of conceptualizing childhood in terms of life course stages, and 3) consequences of the contemporary expansion and contraction of childhood.
- We will ask each of you to serve as discussant for one of these sessions, addressing themes from the four speakers (3 discussants per session). The background reading is available now (see below). Please identify the presenters in the session in which you will be a discussant and read the material that they have provided. Your comments should take no more than 10 minutes, and we hope they will focus on the commonalities and tensions you see among the approaches represented in the session. Thus, of the four background sessions, across Friday and Saturday, you will present in one and serve as a discussant in another. Each of these sessions will end with a general discussion, where we will try to identify general topics from that session that seem to deserve more attention by the group as we move forward.
- On Sunday August 9 we will have two working sessions, from 8:30-11:30 AM and 1:00-5:30PM. During the first hour of each of these sessions we will break into three small groups, each group led by David, Suzanne, or me. In this initial hour, the groups will discuss the the three basic topics. We will then take a short break, followed by an oral report from each group lasting about 15 minutes each, and general discussion of about an hour. In the first session we will also hear a brief oral report from our student participants on their take on the issues. The afternoon session will follow a similar format.
- On Monday morning we will have a working breakfast from 7:30-10:00AM. In that session we will wrap up outstanding issues as well as discuss ideas for final products and dissemination.
- Session #1: Friday August 7, 8:30-11:45 AM. Discussants: Hadley, Lucy, Montgomery.
- First Presenter: Sara E. Johnson
- Second Presenter: Sally Crawford
- Third Presenter: Tom Weisner
- Fourth Presenter: Steven Mintz
- Session #2: Friday August 7, 1:00-4:15PM. Disscussants: Grimes-McLellan, Johnson, Orellana.
- First Presenter: Jon Stieglitz
- Second Presenter: Paul Garrett
- Third Presenter: Craig Hadley
- Fourth Presenter: Courtney Meehan
- Session #3: Saturday August 8, 8:30-11:30AM. Disscussants: Meehan, Stieglitz, Weisner.
- First Presenter: John Bock
- Second Presenter: Suzanne Gaskins
- Third Presenter: John A. Lucy
- Session #4: Saturday August 8, 1:00-4:15PM. Discussants: Crawford, Garret, Mintz.
- First Presenter: David F. Lancy
- Second Presenter: Heather Montgomery
- Third Presenter: Marjorie Orellana
- Fourth Presenter: Dawn Grimes-Macllellan
- General Readings