Academic Resource Center
Sample cheese and learn how it's made!
This exhibits showcases works of art that share a…
This exhibit showcases, for the first time, the…
Come take a short wetland walk out to the frog ponds…
This award-winning and wildly theatrical musical kicks…
Helping students develop competence in their academic subjects is the primary focus of the tutoring services provided by the Center. Tutoring assistance is provided in three ways:
Drop–in Math and Statistics Tutoring
This index lists free tutoring resources.
The Tutor Advertiser is a Web–based service that allows a student to search for a private tutor or list him/herself as a private tutor. Only USU students are allowed to list as private tutors.
To list on the ARC Tutor Advertiser, a student must have at least a 3.2 USU GPA and earned at least a B+ in any course for which he or she wishes to advertise tutoring services.
The ARC will screen postings for appropriateness and accuracy.Courses will be verified via USU transcript.
Potential tutors must list the courses they wish to tutor by course name and number (BIO 1210 or MATH 1050).
A complete list of course numbers is available in the USU General Catalog
Excellent math tutorial videos are available online at KhanAcademy, covering topics from pre-algebra through linear algebra. Each 10-minute video covers a specific topic with clear explanations of concepts and example problems worked step-by-step.
Who are the Tutors?
All tutors who work for the Drop–in Math and Statistics program meet the following minimum criteria:
- Currently enrolled at Utah State University as students in good standing
- Completed through Math 2250 (or 2270/2280) and/or through Stats 3000 with a course grade of B+ or higher
- Earned a cumulative gpa of 3.2 or higher
- Demonstrated effective oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Required to complete MGT 2160 (two credit tutor training course) during the first semester of tutoring. Completion of training results in Level II Advanced International Tutoring Program Certification through the College Reading and Learning Association.
Math and stats tutors typically represent majors in Math, Math/Stats Education, Statistics, or Engineering. While tutors must demonstrate subject competence, a decision to hire a tutor is heavily weighted on his/her demonstrated genuine enthusiasm to help students learn math and a sincere desire to develop effective tutoring strategies.
The Tutoring Directory lists the free, Drop–in academic tutoring that is available each semester for Utah State University students.
USU Free Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction
- Physics Physics Learning Center Schedule
- Supplemental Instruction
- Computer Science CS department Tutor Policies, call at (435)797-2451.
- Writing, Department of English Writing Center
- Private tutoring (Tutor Advertiser)
Note: The Dept. of Chemistry does not offering tutoring services for Chemistry courses. There is a schedule of SI (Supplemental Instruction) sessions for Chem 1010, 1210, 1220, 2300, 2310 and 2320.
Hours for tutoring may change during the semester.
Questions regarding hours can be directed to the academic department at the telephone number indicated in the directory.