Academic Resource Center
The Blind Hollow Yurt Reservations are open to everyone!…
We have swim lessons for kids & adults. This will be…
NEHMA and the Merrill-Cazier Library present black &…
3:45 Social in AGRS Atrium for each. Jan. 13, Brent…
Diversity Council Grant Award Applications are due! Up to…
Helping students develop competence in their academic subjects is the primary focus of the tutoring services provided by the Center. Tutoring assistance is provided in three ways:
Drop–in Math and Statistics Tutoring
This index lists free tutoring resources.
The Tutor Advertiser is a Web–based service that allows a student to search for a private tutor or list him/herself as a private tutor. Only USU students are allowed to list as private tutors.
To list on the ARC Tutor Advertiser, a student must have at least a 3.2 USU GPA and earned at least a B+ in any course for which he or she wishes to advertise tutoring services. The ARC will screen postings for appropriateness and accuracy.
Excellent math tutorial videos are available online at KhanAcademy, covering topics from pre-algebra through linear algebra. Each 10-minute video covers a specific topic with clear explanations of concepts and example problems worked step-by-step.
Who are the Tutors?
All tutors who work for the Drop–in Math and Statistics program meet the following minimum criteria:
- Currently enrolled at Utah State University as students in good standing
- Completed through Math 2250 (or 2270/2280) and/or through Stats 3000 with a course grade of B+ or higher
- Earned a cumulative gpa of 3.2 or higher
- Demonstrated effective oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Required to complete MGT 2160 (two credit tutor training course) during the first semester of tutoring. Completion of training results in Level II Advanced International Tutoring Program Certification through the College Reading and Learning Association.
Math and stats tutors typically represent majors in Math, Math/Stats Education, Statistics, or Engineering. While tutors must demonstrate subject competence, a decision to hire a tutor is heavily weighted on his/her demonstrated genuine enthusiasm to help students learn math and a sincere desire to develop effective tutoring strategies.
We are proud that many of the Center's tutors participate and succeed in a variety of challenging educational experiences, including the USU Putnam Exam Team, engineering conferences and competitions, and scholarship competitions. In fact, in 2003, two math tutors participated in the national Putnam Exam and helped USU place in the top 10% – 46th out of 476 teams. Time Magazine reported the Putnam Exam to be the most prestigious and difficult math test in the world.
The Tutoring Directory lists the free, Drop–in academic tutoring that is available each semester for Utah State University students.
USU Free Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction
- Physics Physics Learning Center Schedule
- Supplemental Instruction
- Computer Science CS department Tutor Policies, call at (435)797-2451.
- Writing, Department of English Writing Center
- Private tutoring (Tutor Advertiser)
Note: The Dept. of Chemistry does not offering tutoring services for Chemistry courses. There is a schedule of SI (Supplemental Instruction) sessions for Chem 1010, 1210, 1220, 2300, 2310 and 2320.
Hours for tutoring may change during the semester.
Questions regarding hours can be directed to the academic department at the telephone number indicated in the directory.