Helping students develop competence in their academic subjects is the primary focus of the tutoring services provided by the Center. Tutoring assistance is provided in three ways:
Drop–in Math and Statistics Tutoring
Free drop–in tutoring during lab hours is provided for Math 0990-2250/2270/2280 and Statistics 1040, 1045, 2000, 2300, 3000, in the Taggart Student Center Room 225A and The Depot in the Junction basement.
This index lists free tutoring resources.
As a service to USU students, USU Academic and Instructional Services provides free online tutoring available to USU students through the Western eTutoring Consortium. Subjects in which students can receive online tutoring include: Accounting, Anatomy & Physiology, Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Economics, Engineering (Circuits & Digital Systems only), Math, Physics, Spanish, Statistics, Web Development and Writing.
The Tutor Advertiser is a Web–based service that allows a student to search for a private tutor or list him/herself as a private tutor. Only USU students are allowed to list as private tutors.
To list on the ASC Tutor Advertiser, a student must have at least a 3.2 USU GPA and earned at least a B+ in any course for which he or she wishes to advertise tutoring services.
The ASC will screen postings for appropriateness and accuracy. Courses will be verified via USU transcript.
Potential tutors must list the courses they wish to tutor by course name and number (BIO 1210 or MATH 1050).
A complete list of course numbers is available in the USU General Catalog
Online Self Study
Excellent math tutorial videos are available online at KhanAcademy, covering topics from pre-algebra through linear algebra. Each 10-minute video covers a specific topic with clear explanations of concepts and example problems worked step-by-step.
Who are the Tutors?
All tutors who work for the Drop–in Math and Statistics program meet the following minimum criteria:
- Currently enrolled at Utah State University as students in good standing
- Completed through Math 2250 (or 2270/2280) and/or through Stats 3000 with a course grade of B+ or higher
- Earned a cumulative gpa of 3.2 or higher
- Demonstrated effective oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Required to complete USU 2160 (one credit tutor training course) during the first semester of tutoring. Completion of training results in Level II Advanced International Tutoring Program Certification through the College Reading and Learning Association.
Math and stats tutors typically represent majors in Math, Math/Stats Education, Statistics, or Engineering. While tutors must demonstrate subject competence, a decision to hire a tutor is heavily weighted on his/her demonstrated genuine enthusiasm to help students learn math and a sincere desire to develop effective tutoring strategies.
The Tutoring Directory lists the free, Drop–in academic tutoring that is available each semester for Utah State University students.
USU Free Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction
- Computer Science CS department Tutor Policies, call at (435)797-2451.
- Online tutoring through USU AIS
- Physics Physics Learning Center Schedule
- Private tutoring (Tutor Advertiser)
- Supplemental Instruction
- Writing Department of English Writing Center
Note: The Dept. of Chemistry does not offer tutoring services for Chemistry courses. There is a schedule of SI (Supplemental Instruction) sessions for Chem 1010, 1210, 1220, 2300, 2310 and 2320.
Hours for tutoring may change during the semester.
Questions regarding hours can be directed to the academic department at the telephone number indicated in the directory.