1. Fix samples with 95% ethanol.
2. Label samples inside and outside.
Pencil on waterproof paper works good for inside labels and paper on masking tape works well for outside labels. Labels should include information on the location of the sample and the date of sampling. Place a consecutive sample number on the lid of each jar, samples requiring more than one jar should be labeled as 1a, 1b, 1c, etc.. We will composite all like numbers (1a, 1b, 1c) into a single sample in the laboratory. On a separate sheet list all the samples and the location and date of sampling:
|1||Big Creek, Station 1||06/02/98|
|2||Big Creek, Station 2||06/02/98|
|3||Big Creek, Station 1||09/12/98|
|4||Big Creek, Station 2||09/12/98|
3. Please provide us with information on where, when, and how the samples were collected.
Please fill out a separate sheet for each sampling location.
What we really want to know is:
A. Where you collected the sample:
B. How you collected the sample:
1. sampling date
2. sampling device (Surber, Kicknet, etc.)
3. habitat sampled (riffle, pool, etc.)
4. area sampled in square meters or square feet
5. the mesh size of the sampler (e.g., 500 microns)
C. Some physical and chemical data is also sometimes useful and may include:
1. alkalinity, mg/L
2. sulfate, mg/L
3. conductivity, micro Siemens
5. dominant substrate: boulder, cobble, gravel, sand, bedrock
6. water and air temperatures, C
7. stream gradient, %
8. average stream width, depth, and velocity
9. estimate of overstream shade, %
4. Box up the samples according to your choosen carriers guidelines for Class 3 Hazardous Materials.
A. Make sure the lids are on tightly, to be extra careful, wrap duct tape around the lids.
B. Put the jars in a big plastic bag
C. Surround the jars with packing material.
D. Place data sheets and other documentation in a separate zip-lock plastic bag
5. Ship samples, data sheets, and any additional information concerning the samples to:
Department of Watershed Sciences
Utah State University
Logan, UT 84322-5210.
6. Upon receipt of your samples we will notify you with a post-card.