Graduate School Checklist
Here are some things to consider when choosing a graduate school:
- What is the reputation of the program?
- Will you be able to work in areas that interest you?
- How accessible is the faculty?
- What are your chances of working with the professor you want?
- If you are promised financial aid, for how long will you get it? Can it be renewed?
- What about tuition and fees?
- Average number of years until degree?
- What about jobs for graduates?
- Do you feel comfortable with the faculty and students?
- What about university facilities:
- the library?
- offices, laboratory, or studio?
- What do current graduate students say about:
- the program?
- the faculty?
- jobs for recent graduates?
- student morale?
- Do you like the city and the setting of the university?
- Cost of living?
- Proximity to your family? (This can be a plus or a minus, depending on your family.)
Source: “The Grad School Handbook,” Jerrard and Jerrard, 1998.