TRAVEL CASH ADVANCE
Cash Advances available through the Travel Department are for the following circumstances:
- Individual student(s) who are traveling on University related business travel.
- Group travel involving students.
- International travel for faculty members.
For student group travel, please note:.
- Only one check per trip will be prepared for group travel.
- The check will be made out to the faculty or staff member that has been designated responsible for the group.
- The names of all students in the group must be included on the Student Cash Advance Check Request Form.
- Staff can sign for and pick up a cash advance check made out to the designated faculty member. I.D. is required.
The Travel Cash Advance Check Request Form must be attached to a completed and signed Travel Authorization form. Completed areas on the TA form include:
- Section 1 - Traveler Information
- Section 2 - Travel Plan (including signature from traveler)
- Section 3A - Funding Approval (including signatures)
- Section 3C - Pre-Trip Travel Authorization (signatures)
Send the Travel Cash Advance Check Request Form and the Pre-Travel Authorization form to the Controller's Office, UMC 2400, for processing.
Cash advances will be prepared in the form of a direct deposit or check. Checks must be picked up at the Travel Department (located in the Controller's Office, basement of Old Main, Room 26). A signature and I.D. will be required when checks are picked up.
Please allow FIVE business days for processing. For example, if a Travel Cash Advance Check Request Form is received in Travel on Monday, the check will be available for pick-up Friday morning. An email will be sent to the preparer when the check is available.
Required information and documentation to process the check request:
- The name and A# of the person receiving the cash advance check:
a. Individual student traveler or
b. Designated faculty/staff for group student travel
- A completed and signed Pre-Travel Authorization Form.
Note: If there is not enough room on the form to include all student group travelers, please attach additional pages as necessary.
All Cash Advances will be funded through the Controller's Office. Cash Advances will be closed out and charged to the department's index when the Post-Travel Authorization Form is turned in at the completion of travel; however, the departmental index will be encumbered with the amount of the travel cash advance.
Closing the Cash Advance: Along with all receipts please include where and how the Advance was used: lodging, meals, etc.
If the traveler spent less than the Cash Advance Amount: All receipts need to be included, please include a check or cash with the Post-Travel Authorization for any amount that was not spent. The Advance is given from the Controller’s Office, the money needs to be returned and deposited into the appropriate account.
If the traveler spent more than the Cash Advance Amount: All receipts need to be included; the difference of the advance amount and what the traveler actually spent will be their reimbursement amount.
(Click on the line below to link to form)
Travel Cash Advance Check Request Form