Copyright, Privacy and Advertising Information
Terms and Conditions
The term 'Utah state University' or 'us' or 'we' refers to the owner of the website whose registered office is 1400 Old Main Hill Logan, Utah 84322. The term 'you' refers to the user or viewer of our website.
- The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
- Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
- This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
- All trade marks reproduced in this website which are not the property of, or licensed to, the operator are acknowledged on the website.
- From time to time this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
- You may not create a link to this website from another website or document without Utah State University's prior written consent.
This website and its content is copyright of Utah State University - © Utah State University 2010. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited. You may not, except with our express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.
All text, images, logos and information contained on official Utah State University Web sites are the intellectual property of USU unless otherwise registered and are protected under the U.S. Copyright Act., which gives the owner exclusive right to reproduce, distribute, perform, display, or license a given work.
Whether or not a Web site includes a statement about copyright, the U.S. Copyright Act provides protection for such works, and they may not be used or reproduced without permission. It is the responsibility of all parties storing materials on Web sites with Utah State University domain addresses (usu.edu) to ensure that such material does not violate other parties' proprietary rights and does not otherwise violate law or applicable University policy. USU reserves the right to delete, or make inaccessible, files that contain material that is in violation of law or of applicable USU policy. USU is not responsible for any errors in the material provided on the Web and shall not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of any material found on official USU Web sites or on any other sites with Utah State University domain addresses.
The design, pictures, and logos used on USU Web sites may not be copied and used or published by any other person or entity without authorization. This includes but is not limited to the university's home page, all secondary Web pages, news pages, and maps, etc... Links may be directed to these pages, but images, logos and maps may not be copied and/or published for any reason.
The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by Utah State University and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.
Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of Utah State University. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.
Every effort is made to keep the website up and running smoothly. However, Utah State University takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.
Additionally, the views and opinions expressed on individual or personal Web sites (including but not limited to faculty, staff, students, and student organizations) are strictly those of the authors, and may not represent the official views or opinions of Utah State University.
Individuals' privacy is important to Utah State University. USU does not collect personal information about you when you visit any of our Web sites or mobile applications unless you choose to submit your information to us. To better protect your privacy, we provide this notice explaining our online information policy and practices.
Non-personal information collected: This information is general, and we encourage you to read page-specific notices to ensure that you understand the applicable privacy policies and practices.
When you visit any of our Web sites, our server automatically collects the following non-personal information:
- Internet domain from which you access out sire
- Machine IP address from which you access our site
- Your operating system
- Your browser type and version
- Your monitor's screen size and color depth
- The Uniform Resource Locator (URL) of the Web site from which you came and the URL you visit next
This process does not identify your e-mail address or other personal information.
When you install any of our mobile applications with the publisher name “Utah State University” on the Google Play store and Apple’s App Store, the application may ask for permission to:
- Contacts (store or retrieve a contact)
- Internet Access
- Calendar (store or set events)
- External storage (images, save downloads, etc.)
- Receive push notifications
The general information described above may be aggregated with the general information of all site visitors to identify trends in how our sites are used. This is done to improve the content and structure of our Web sites and mobile applications. In addition, we may share aggregated general information about our site with partners or the general public. For example, we may share information regarding the daily number of unique visitors to our site or mobile applications with potential partners or others. Aggregate data does not contain any information that could be used to contact or identify you.
Some Utah State University Web sites and mobile applications use Google Analytics, a service provided by Google, Inc. Google Analytics places a cookie on your computer or a code embedded in the mobile application to analyze how you use the site or mobile application. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the Web site or mobile application is transmitted to and stored by Google on its servers. Google uses this information to compile reports on Web site and mobile activity, and then the university site and application owners use that information to improve Web sites and mobile applications. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf. Google does not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google.
If you choose to share personal information with us, we will use the information for the purposed authorized only. Your personally identifying information will not be used in ways unrelated to the ones described without a clear notice on the particular site and without also providing you an opportunity to opt-out or otherwise prohibit such unrelated uses. It will not be shared with other third parties without your consent, except for the following limited purposes:
- We are compelled to do so by law or by an order of a court or governmental authority.
- In order to cooperate with law enforcement authorities or governmental regulatory bodies.
- As necessary to complete a transaction for you.
- As we deem necessary to protect the rights, safety, or property of Utah State University.
If we are required to disclose information by law, we will make every effort to notify any affected parties in advance.
We reserve the right to change, modify, add or remove portions of our privacy statements at any time. Any such amendments will be noted on this page, so please visit periodically to view current statements.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Consistent with University and State of Utah policy on the appropriate use of University-owned equipment, the university's Web page must not be used for commercial, non-mission-related purposes. In practice, this means that advertising space cannot be sold at any level of the Web page.
"Advertising" refers to any situation in which the university or one of its units received payment or in-kind gifts in exchange for a link or brand placement on a university Web page.
While advertising cannot be sold at any level, links to commercial vendors may be made in the following specific situations:
- Licensed software required for Web viewing - The logo or graphic represents licensed software on which a core function of the page is based (e.g. Netscape, Adobe Acrobat Reader, etc.)
- Links to separately contracted vendor - The logo or link is to a vendor or other entity separately contracted to provide services to the university
- Sponsorship Recognition - Within a unit's Web page, a logo or link can be displayed at that unit's second level page or below to acknowledge support of the unit's mission-related activities through sponsorship. Such logos or links are deemed to be recognition of corporate or other external sponsorship; payment may not be accepted for that link or logo
- Educational purposes - The text link provides information for educational or other mission-related purposes and the university has received no consideration for incorporating that link
To learn more about copyright at USU, visit the the website about Copyright Essentials for Faculty, Staff, and Students