Copyright at USU

Utah State University Logo

Including the Works of Others

How to Obtain Permission

For most formats (books, articles, AV material, etc) you generally have to contact the copyright holder for permission. The copyright holder can be any of the following:

Publisher, society, author, photographer, composer, musician, film producer, etc.

Generally, first contact the publisher or distributor (for AV) first. If the publisher does not hold the copyright, it often negotiates permission on behalf of the copyright holder or it will let you know who to contact.

You can also contact a copyright clearance company which will, for a fee, obtain permission for you, such as:

  • Copyright Clearance Center
  • ICopyright

  • Theses and Dissertations
  • At Utah State University, students are responsible for obtaining permission to use copyrighted works in their thesis or dissertation. The Graduate School requires a copy of permission to use copyrighted material be placed at the end of the work. Students retain the copyright of their work.

    Utah State University Press

    The University Press provides some guidelines and FAQ for copyright on specific areas.

    E-reserve Guidelines:

    Permissions FAQ: