Find a Degree
Find a Degree
About This Degree
USU offers both a certificate and an associate’s degree in ornamental horticulture. Completion of the certificate requires 27 credits, and the associate’s degree requires 60 credits. Coursework for both is similar to the curriculum for the bachelor’s degree in plant science, and all approved coursework for the associate’s degree counts toward the bachelor's should students choose to continue.
Many students who participate in this program attend through one of USU's locations throughout the state. Classes are offered in the evenings, making it convenient for students who work full time and wish to move into a career in ornamental horticulture or pursue horticulture as a hobby.
- AAS - Logan Campus , Regional Campuses (Kaysville, Orem, Salt Lake)
- Cert - Logan Campus , Regional Campuses (Kaysville, Orem, Salt Lake)
With an associate’s or certificate in ornamental horticulture, students can work in the following areas:
- Garden centers
- Floral shops
- Groundskeeping and maintenance for golf courses, school districts, and municipalities
Career Services provides counseling and information on hundreds of job and internship opportunities and even helps students apply and interview.
In addition to Utah State University’s admissions requirements, the ornamental horticulture program has additional requirements:
- Freshman: New freshmen admitted to USU in good standing qualify for admission to this major.
- Transfer Students: Transfer students from other institutions and students transferring from other USU majors need a 2.5 total GPA for admission to this major.
International students have additional admissions requirements.
Click here to see course requirements for the Associate of Applied Science.
Click here to see course requirements for the Certificate (UG).
Students completing the AAS must complete an internship that is between one and four credits. If students choose to pursue the bachelor's degree in plant science, this internship fulfills the requirement, and students will not have to participate in another internship.
All new USU freshmen participate in a New Student Orientation program, where they receive detailed information about major requirements, registering for classes, and other important advising information.
Office: AGSC 416
Phone: (435) 797-0454