Dietetic Internship Certificate: Cert
The Dietetic Internship (DI) is a graduate certificate program that provides the required supervised practice experience for students that have completed the necessary didactic dietetics coursework and have a desire to be become a Registered Dietitian. Dietetic interns complete 31 weeks of supervised practice and concurrent graduate online courses in clinical, community, and foodservice management with a program emphasis in Child Nutrition Programs and School Food Service Systems Management. After completion of this certificate, students are eligible to sit for the national registered dietitian examination.
For more information, visit http://dieteticinternship.usu.edu/.
- Cert - Logan , Beaver, Bicknell, Blanding, Brigham City, Castle Dale, Cedar City, Cortez, Delta, Ephraim, Grantsville, Heber City, Junction, Kanab, Kaysville, Moab, Montezuma Creek, Monticello, Monument Valley, Nephi, Orem, Panguitch, Park City, Randolph, Richfield, Roosevelt (Uintah Basin), Salt Lake, St George, Tooele, Tremonton, USU Eastern (Price), Vernal (Uintah Basin), Wendover , Online
- Please review our state authorizations to see if this program is offered in your state.
- International students studying at USU on the F-1 or J-1 visa must have the majority of their classes each semester be face-to-face in order to meet the physical presence requirement to maintain their visa status. Students on the F-1 visa must enroll in classes at the Logan or USU Eastern campuses. Students on the J-1 visa must enroll in classes at the Logan campus.
For online offering:
Completion of this certificate and previous completion of the didactic dietetics coursework permits students to sit for the national registration dietitian examination and to become a registered dietitian. A Registered Dietitian is a highly-qualified health professional, recognized as an expert on food and nutrition. Dietitians are employed in a variety of settings and work in management or as clinicians in:
- Healthcare institutions
- Home health agencies
- Government-funded agencies and programs
- Wellness programs
- Private practice
Students who are interested in obtaining the certificate do not apply through the University's admission office. Instead, students should contact the Dietetic Internship Program and follow the "application process" directions found the USU Dietetic Internship website.
To be eligible for the certificate program, applicants must:
- Be a senior in or graduate of a bachelor's or master's degree.
- Have obtained or nearing completion of a DPD verification statement which confirms their completion of the required didactic dietetics coursework from an accredited nutrition/dietetics program.
- Have a minimum DPD GPA of 3.0, and no D grades.
- Have 400+ dietetics-related volunteer or work experience.
Applications deadlines for the program:
- Early-January for Pre-Select Application (only available to past and current USU undergraduate dietetics students)
- February 15 for the national Computer-Matching Application
Professional Organizations, Honor Societies, and Clubs
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics membership consists of nutrition professionals nationwide who are dedicated to promoting optimal nutrition, health, and well-being.
Dietetic Internship Director, Clinical Associate Professor
Office: 920 West Levoy Drive Taylorsville, UT 84123
Phone: (435) 797-4230