Management Information Systems: MMIS
The Master of Management Information Systems (MMIS) program in the Jon M. Huntsman School of Business at Utah State University offers students an opportunity to make a difference in the organizations where they work. Understanding Big Data is a must-have skill in today's job market. MMIS students compete in the marketplace with solid database, web development, business analysis, and IT strategy skills.
MIS-related professions are projected to have the strongest employment outlook with high wages through the end of the decade. Our master's degree will change the trajectory of your career.
Program highlights include:
- High Job Placement Combined with High Salaries
- Solid Database and Data Analytics Coverage
- Premier Faculty Research - Publications, Grants, and a Patent
- Cohesive Student Culture - BI, E-Commerce and Business Analytics, AIS (Two National Champion Teams)
- STEM Designation
- AACSB Accredited
For more information, visit https://huntsman.usu.edu/mmis/.
The career outlook for MIS graduates is exceptional, with possibilities including the following:
- Chief information officer
- Quality assurance manager
- E-Commerce system developer
- Business systems analyst
- Software support specialist/trainer
- Database application programmer
- Information system security manager
- Database administrator
- Project manager
- Data analyst
- E-Learning specialist
- Decision support/business intelligence specialist
Students who don’t have a business undergraduate degree are required to take prerequisite classes to satisfy AACSB requirements. Students must complete all prerequisites prior to starting the MMIS coursework, but not before application to the program. Specific information related to prerequisites is included in a student’s acceptance letter.
- ACCT 2010 - Survey of Accounting I (Financial)
- FIN 3400 - Corporate Finance
- STAT 2300 - Business Statistics
These can be taken individually at any college or university as long as the course is approved with the MMIS Office. Please speak with our office to discuss any questions.
- Complete the online application
- Pay the $55 application fee
- Score at or above the 40th percentile on the GRE or GMAT (both verbal and quantitative)
- Have a 3.0 or higher GPA on your last 60 semester or 90 quarter credits
- Provide transcripts of all college/university credits
- Provide three contacts for letters of recommendation
International students have additional admissions requirements.
The department has the following deadlines:
- Fall semester - August 1
- Spring semester - December 1
- Summer program - April 1
- To be considered for scholarships, MMIS applications must be submitted before March 1st each year.
Master's Degree Plan Option(s)
Students can receive the MMIS by pursuing one of two options:
- In the Plan A option: students complete graduate-level coursework and must write a thesis. This option must be approved by the advisory committee.
- In the Plan C option: students are required to complete coursework only.
A variety of funding opportunities are available, including fellowships, scholarships, assistantships, tuition awards, and travel support. Additionally, students may be eligible for subsidized health insurance through qualifying assistantships.
Professional Organizations, Honor Societies, and Clubs
Association Information Systems (AIS): USU AIS is an official student chapter of the Association for Information Systems, the premier professional association of individuals and organizations who lead the research, teaching, practice and study of information systems worldwide.
Business Intelligence Group: The Business Intelligence Group has distinguished itself as a dynamic, student-lead, extra-curricular research organization. Participants gain a wealth of real-world experience and applications to data science theories learned in class.
Entrepreneurship Club: The Entrepreneurship Club teaches skill sets for entrepreneurs to be successful. The club provides access to resources, teaches how to develop and refine business ideas, and assists in helping students build and launch a sustainable, successful company.
Women in Business Association (WIBA): As a new organization on theUtah State University Campus, Women in Business Association represent women making a difference in business. This club is focused toward making essential networking contacts, recruiting and mentoring future women in business, and learning vital skills forthe business world.
Career Exploration Trips: Not sure what your dream job is? No worries; our career trips will get you out in the field so you can talk with our professional partners and explore different industries.
Small Enterprise Education and Development (SEED): This is as real as it gets! SEED is an international consulting internship where students teach basic business and finance principles to local entrepreneurs in the Philippines and Peru.