Disability Resource Center

Utah State University Logo

Disability Resource Center Handbook

Updated 2014

Dear Student,

Welcome to the Disability Resource Center(DRC)! The DRC staff is pleased to assist students in achieving their educational and vocational goals.

This handbook is designed to outline some of the services available from the DRC and specifies guidelines that are pertinent to these services. The handbook does not address every service and program offered by the DRC and may be altered from time to time without prior notice. It is important to keep in touch with your DRC counselor on a regular basis for updates on services and procedures. Students are encouraged to become familiar with the other relevant policies and procedures of Utah State University (USU).

Handbook Index

What is the purpose of the DRC

It is the policy of USU to comply with the fundamental principles of nondiscrimination and accommodation in academic programs, which are set forth in the implementing regulations for Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. These regulations state that:

No qualified student with a disability shall, on the basis of disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination under any ... postsecondary education program or activity ... [Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 504, 84.43]

An institution shall make such modifications to its academic requirements as are necessary to ensure that such requirements do not discriminate or have the effect of discrimination on the basis of handicap, against a qualified handicapped applicant or student ... Modifications may include changes in the length of time permitted for the completion of degree requirements, substitution of specific courses required for the completion of degree requirements, and adaptation of the manner in which specific courses are conducted. [Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 504, 84.44]

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 extends the provisions of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act to private institutions. It also puts in place more effective means for enforcing the law.

The DRC works with individuals, faculty, and staff to ensure that students with disabilities can fully participate in University programs, services, and activities. The center helps individuals with disabilities overcome barriers that could otherwise limit their academic, professional, and personal potential. These barriers may be architectural, attitudinal, or related to University programs. The DRC provides direct services and coordinates with other state agencies and University programs to ensure equal access.

[Back to Top]

Mission Statement

The mission of the Disability Resource Center (DRC) is to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal access to University programs, services, and activities. This is accomplished by fostering an environment which supports the understanding and acceptance of persons with disabilities throughout the University community, and the provision of reasonable and appropriate accommodations. The DRC affirms the right of persons with disabilities to obtain access in a manner promoting dignity and independence.


  • Assist the University in achieving compliance with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. This responsibility includes providing services and accommodations to students, faculty, and staff.
  • Provide supportive services to individuals with disabilities, including academic assistance, adaptive equipment, counseling, readers, transcribers, interpreters, and advocacy to ensure equal access to education, employment, and other University programs.
  • Provide academic, personal, and career counseling to assist students in the development of personal and financial independence.
  • Review architectural and program accessibility and make recommendations for the removal of barriers.
  • Provide support to faculty by providing training, designing accommodations, and consulting on disability-related issues.
  • Promote University disability awareness through workshops, in-service training, and consultation with departments, faculty, and community activities.
  • Evaluate requests for reasonable accommodation from University employees and students to ensure adherence to the guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

[Back to Top]

How do I register with the DRC?

Students desiring to qualify for the services of the DRC must complete the application process described below and be determined by a DRC counselor to meet specific eligibility guidelines.

Can Distance Education students register with the DRC?

The DRC coordinates services for any USU student at any location within the USU Distance Education system. The services provided to on-campus students and the process for receiving services will be duplicated to the best of our ability for Distance Education students. The application process is the same.

Distance Education students will interact with their DRC counselor by telephone and Email but whenever possible accommodation requests should be via Email. Because of the challenges presented by distance, site coordinators may be involved in the provision of services.

Specialized equipment can be made available at Distance Education sites if needed, however, the DRC does not provide assistive technology for home use. Distance Education students should Email accommodation requests to the DRC counselor each semester. Testing and Classroom Accommodation Forms will be completed by the DRC counselor, and copies will be sent to the student, instructor, and site coordinator.

Can the DRC help with my transition to the University?

The DRC provides transition assistance to incoming students. Entry to the university setting from high school, community college, or employment can be stressful. Some students need to review basic subjects or need assessment to determine if college is right for them. The DRC will help you navigate this sometimes-complicated process.

Admission requirements for the University are the same for all students, regardless of the presence of a disabling condition and may change from year to year. Students who do not meet these criteria should speak with admissions to explore alternative admissions options. Students planning to use DRC services are encouraged to meet with a DRC counselor several weeks before their first semester begins because it can take time to arrange for individual accommodations.

For students needing additional academic support, a variety of transition and remedial courses are offered including:

  • MATH 0950
  • MATH 0990 Elements of Algebra
  • PSY 1220 Career and Life Planning
  • PSY 1730 Strategies for Academic Success (study skills)
  • PSY 1750 Comprehension Strategies for College Reading

Additional support is also offered through the Academic Resource Center (ARC).

[Back to Top]

DRC Application Process:

The Americans with Disabilities Act defines a person with a disability as an individual with a significant impairment of a major life activity as compared to the average person. Each applicant's application will be evaluated based on this definition.

Students with disabilities may be eligible for services and reasonable accommodations at Utah State University . In order to qualify for services, students must:

  • Complete the application.
  • Meet with a DRC counselor for an intake interview.
  • Provide current disability documentation as outlined in the DRC Documentation Guidelines.
  • Review documentation with a DRC counselor to discuss eligibility status and determine services. Students will receive a written statement of eligibility from the DRC.

[Back to Top]

Eligibility and Documentation:

Eligibility for DRC programs is based on the presence of a disability. The use of previous services and related documentation such as IEP's and 504's will be taken into consideration when determining eligibility. Further documentation of a disability may be needed to help determine if a disability exists or to improve our ability to recommend specific accommodations. When documentation is required it should:

  • Be from a licensed professional such as a medical doctor, audiologist, or psychologist.
  • Be in writing, printed on letterhead with the name, and specialty of the provider stated.
  • Clearly state the nature of the disability.
  • Discuss limitations that might arise in the academic environment.

If the disability is a learning disability or the accommodations requested are related to cognition, a comprehensive psycho-educational evaluation is needed. The evaluation report should include all standard test scores, subtest scores, and the evaluators narrative.


[Back to Top]

What happens to my medical information once it is given to the DRC?

The DRC follows relevant state and federal regulations with regard to confidentiality. DRC records are maintained in locked filing cabinets and secure electronic files. No one other than DRC staff has immediate access to these files.

In compliance with federal regulations, the DRC may share a limited amount of disability-related information with University personnel who demonstrate a legitimate need to know.

Students should keep copies of their medical information for their personal records.

Will my transcripts indicate that I received DRC services?

Student transcripts and other University records will not indicate DRC participation.

[Back to Top]

What is Reasonable Accommodation?

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)defines reasonable accommodations as the provision of services, such as interpreters, note-takers, extended time on examinations, architectural access, program modification and other adjustments, which accommodate for the limitations presented by a documented disability. Participants must be otherwise qualified for the program in which they are enrolled.

Neither Section 504, nor the ADA , requires universities to lower their academic standards or substantially alter the essential elements of their courses or programs to accommodate students with disabilities. The requirement to provide reasonable accommodations is designed to afford equal acess for students with disabilities. Achieving reasonable accommodations for a student with a disability involves shared responsibility among students, faculty, and staff.

[Back to Top]

How can my DRC counselor help me?

The primary role of the DRC counselor is to provide academic and personal support to the student, while encouraging and promoting independence. The DRC counselor does not function as a student's academic advisor or therapist, but can provide general counseling, vocational guidance, referral, and advocacy. Each student will be assigned to a DRC counselor when he/she first enters the program, but may change to another counselor at any time.

Students are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor and DRC counselor each semester prior to registration. Students can best be served when they schedule appointments with their academic advisor or DRC counselor in advance.

The DRC does not provide psychological services; however, DRC staff can provide referrals to providers within the community. The Counseling Center, the USU Psychology Department Community Clinic, the Marriage and Family Therapy Clinic, and Bear River Mental Health will provide personal and family therapy. With a written release of information, the DRC may consult with mental health providers to determine the type of services that will be most helpful to the student.

[Back to Top]

How do I learn about DRC services and procedures?

Once determined to be eligible, all students must attend an orientation prior to the implementation of services. This orientation informs students how to obtain services, explains the forms that must be completed, and describes other critical steps for obtaining and keeping approved services. At this time, the student will also be: invited to register to vote, instructed in the use of Canvas, and given basic information on how to use Access.

[Back to Top]

What services are available to DRC students?

Students and their counselor will meet throughout the year to discuss the services that they are eligible for, which may include:

[Back to Top]

Priority Registration

Priority registration is available to eligible students who have accessibility and medical needs. This enables the DRC to relocate classes and coordinate services, such as sign language interpreters, note-takers, and alternate-format materials. Contact your DRC counselor to determine eligibility for this service. Priority registration dates will be posted in the DRC and in our online newsletter; however, students who miss the registration deadlines must participate in the regular registration process. If a class schedule is changed, it is the student's responsibility to notify the DRC of the needed changes in services.

[Back to Top]

Accommodated Testing

Eligibility for accommodated testing is determined by the DRC counselors on a case-by-case basis. To use the accommodated testing program, students must follow the following procedures

On Campus Students

  • Read and sign the Testing Contract with the Testing Coordinator.
  • Pick up Testing Accommodation Form(s) from your DRC counselor for each class at the beginning of each semester.
  • Take the form(s) to your instructor(s) to be completed and signed. Return the completed form(s) to the DRC Testing Coordinator at least three days before the first exam.
  • Schedule each test date and time at least three business days before each exam. As a rule, examinations will be given at the same time as they are given to the class for which the student is registered. The DRC does not have the authority to change the time of exams.
  • All examinations must be scheduled during DRC business hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Examinations must be completed by the end of the business day. Please contact the DRC Testing Coordinator if other arrangements must be made.
  • All finals need to be scheduled one week before finals start.
  • Final examinations are given in accordance with the University's published examination schedule. The DRC is not authorized to alter the schedule.

On the exam day:

1. Arrive on time. Late arrival will result in a comparable deduction in the time scheduled for the examination.

2. Plan for your personal needs: eat, take medications, use the rest room, and make arrangements for transportation and childcare. If you leave the testing room to take care of these things, time may be deducted from the testing time.

3. Do not bring children to the DRC while taking a test. This is disruptive to the business functions of the DRC and disturbs other test-takers.

Rules for the testing area/room are:

1. Once the exam has begun, students may not leave the testing room until the exam is finished, unless permission is granted from the testing coordinator.

2. All books, homework, cell phones, pagers, and other electronic devices must be left with the testing coordinator while the student is taking the exam. Any materials allowed in the exam room must be authorized by the instructor.

3. Readers are trained to read exams exactly as written and may not provide any supportive assistance, unless authorized in writing by the instructor.

4. Scribes are trained to write exams exactly as dictated by the test-taker and may not correct spelling, punctuation, or organization, unless authorized by the instructor in writing.

5. Scribes and readers are employed and trained by the DRC to maintain test integrity.

6. The DRC reserves the right to enter testing rooms at any time for test security reasons. Blinds must remain open, and the doors must remain unlocked at all times. Violations of academic honesty will be reported to the instructor immediately.

If you're sick, please observe the following steps, because the DRC cannot authorize missed examinations or absences.

1. As soon as possible, contact each instructor to explain your situation in general terms, leaving him/her a voice mail message if needed. Follow up with an e-mail, and retain a copy for your records.

2. If you are unable to contact your instructors, contact your DRC counselor.

3. Obtain written documentation from your health care provider to substantiate extenuating circumstances. The DRC will verify your medical information if needed, and notify your instructors.

4. Visit or call your DRC counselor to review your situation and make plans for make-up work or examinations.

5. Keep records of withdrawal, course drop forms, and financial aid agreements in a safe place.

6. Review your academic record to ensure that classes and grades have been recorded accurately.

Distance Education Students

  • You must send an email to your DRC Counselor each semester requesting testing accommodations. Please list the class name and the accommodations requested.
  • A Distance Education Exam Accommodation form will be sent to you, your instructor, and the site facilitator over testing.
  • When testing will be done at a USU Site you will need to contact the local testing coordinator for specific instructions about scheduling accommodated exams at your location.


[Back to Top]

Printed Materials in Alternate Format

The DRC recognizes that students who use alternate-format (AF) materials are likely to need adapted materials throughout their personal and professional lives. For this reason, consistent with the DRC's philosophy of preparing students to become independent, the DRC will train students on how to secure or produce alternate-format materials.

Alternate-format books are available from:

The procedure for obtaining alternate-format materials is:

1. Students purchase the required textbook(s) and show the DRC a receipt(s) for the book(s).

2. Students sign an Alternate Format contract and fill out a list of books they want converted.

3. If the book(s) the student is requesting are not already available in alternate format, then their textbooks are unbound, scanned, converted to text, edited, and then converted to audio format and burned onto CD's.

4. The DRC does not convert any charts, graphs, or images into alternate format; if they are needed, please visit the ATLC.

The level of DRC support provided is based on the recommendation of the DRC counselor and disability documentation. The DRC levels of service for Alternate Format are as follows:

Level One:

Primarily for students with vision loss or severe dyslexia. Everything is scanned, converted to text, edited, and then converted to audio in our office.

Level Two:

Primarily for students with severe learning disabilities or mild dyslexia. Student is responsible for scanning and editing the text. The DRC will do the conversations.

Level Three:

Primarily for students with learning disabilities.
Student is responsible for everything except converting the scan to text.

[Back to Top]


Students desiring note-takers should speak with their DRC counselor about the service. Requests for note-takers must be made at least four to six weeks prior to the start of the semester.

Students may choose to receive notes in one of two ways.

Student Directed:

Student may ask a friend or classmate to take notes. Carbonless note pads are available from the DRC. Note-taker's arranged for in this manor are still eligible for stipends but they must register with the DRC. Supervision of the note-taker is the responsibility of the student . This includes class attendance, quality of notes, and delivery of notes to the student. If at any time the student would like to have a DRC-coordinated note-taker contact the Note-taker Coordinator to make a formal request

DRC Directed:

Requests for a DRC note-taker must be made prior to the beginning of the semester. The request can be made in person, through email or on the DRC website.  A request for the student to be added to the DRC Canvas note taking page will be sent to the student’s email.  The student will need to accept in order to access this Canvas page.  After a request for note takers has been completed, the DRC will email fellow students in the class.  After a note taker has been identified, notes will be posted on the Note taking Canvas page specified for that semester; “Note taking Spring 2014”. It is the responsibility of the student to inform the DRC of changes to his/her schedule.

  • Request note taker
  • Accept access to Canvas page; “Note taking Spring 2014”
  • Email sent to fellow students in classes to locate a note taker
  • Note taker identified- notes uploaded to Canvas page

Communication Access and Interpreter Services

Students seeking communication access via transcription, sign language interpreters, or CART services should meet with the Deaf Services Coordinator several weeks prior to the beginning of the semester to discuss their needs. Specific guidelines are outlined in the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Student Handbook.

[Back to Top]

Does the DRC provide access to computers and other assistive technology or equipment?

The Assistive Technology Learning Center (ATLC) is located in the DRC (University Inn #105). The ATLC provides assistance and training to students with disabilities who may have computing and adaptive technology needs. The ATLC Staff is available to assist you, and their contact information and schedules can be found on the ATLC website or at the DRC.

For more information regarding the ATLC, please contact, Nancy Roberts, at (435) 797-3548, or by E-mail.

ATLC Technology-Software

  • JAWS - Screen Reader
  • Zoom Text - Screen Magnifier
  • Victor Reader - RFB&D Reader
  • Text Aloud - Text to Audio Converter
  • Dragon Naturally Speaking - Speech to Text Converter
  • Wynn Wizard - Enhances Reading, Writing, and Productivity
  • Math Type - Mathematical Equation Editor
  • Accessible Graphing Calculator
  • Magic Cursor and Screen Doors - Alternate Cursor/Keyboard Controllers
  • Braille Translators - Convert Text Documents to Braille
  • Tiger Designer - Design Graphics for Embossing as Tactile Images

ATLC Technology-Hardware

  • Tiger Embosser - Embosses and Prints Braille and Tactile Images
  • Opal Handheld CCTV - Electronic Magnifier
  • Topaz CCTV - Electronic Magnifier
  • Tracker 2000 - Control Cursor with Head Movement

[Back to Top]

Equipment Loan Program

The DRC maintains a limited inventory of equipment, which can be loaned to students on a short-term basis. Students are encouraged to visit the DRC to discuss their equipment needs with their DRC counselor. Some of the equipment available includes:

  • FM Systems (Assistive Listening Devices)
  • Alpha Smart Keyboards
  • Digital Tape Recorders
  • Speaking Calculators
  • Portable Screen Magnifier

[Back to Top]

What services are not available from the DRC?

The DRC provides services as outlined in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. We are not able to provide services of a personal nature such as personal attendant care, tutors, readers, scribes, typists or interpreters for personal use including personal study. The DRC is also unable to provide equipment for personal use such as wheelchairs, computers or hearing aids. Students with disabilities are responsible for providing current medical or diagnostic information as outlined earlier in this handbook . Unlike the services provided in public education under IDEA, these services are the responsibility of the student. If you have need for such services, please contact your DRC counselor for referral to other campus or community programs.

DRC Student Rights:

  • The right to a learning environment free of discrimination and harassment
  • The right to equal access to the programs, services, and activities of Utah State University ;
  • The right to reasonable and appropriate accommodations, academic adjustment, and aides, as determined on a case-by-case basis; and
  • The right to appropriate confidentiality of information pertaining to his/her disability, except as required by law.

DRC Student Responsibilities:

  • Provide and update student information, including name, telephone number, and e-mail address, for DRC records.
  • Recognize that e-mail is the official method of communication for the University. Students should check their e-mail often for information regarding registration, financial aid, the DRC, and other services.
  • Voluntarily identify disability-related needs to the DRC.
  • Provide current and complete disability documentation to the DRC.
  • Formally request needed accommodations and services in a timely manner.
  • Notify the DRC of any changes or concerns regarding services, accommodations, or if classes have been dropped/added.
  • Abide by policies contained in The Code of Policies and Procedures for Students at Utah State University and the USU Academic Policies and Procedures Manual
  • Attend classes and maintain the academic standards set by the University, as well as by the college and the department of the student's major.
  • Communicate with faculty regarding administrative, academic, and disability- related needs.
  • Personally make arrangements for personal needs, transportation, and study assistance.
  • Develop strategies for emergency evacuation appropriate for their disabilities. (Contact the DRC for a copy of the University Emergency Evacuation Plan)
  • Use services responsibly and treat service providers and faculty with respect and courtesy.

DRC Responsibilities:

  • Provide information and services enabling students with disabilities to participate in programs, services, and activities of the University.
  • Review disability documentation and determine, on behalf of the University, eligibility for accommodations and services.
  • Provide services in a timely fashion, in accordance with DRC published procedures.
  • Keep disability-related information confidential.
  • Support faculty and staff in the provision of reasonable accommodations.
  • Advocate responsibly for the rights of persons with disabilities.
  • Consult with University administration, faculty, and staff on policy and procedures related to accommodations and access, as required under current Federal and State law.

Faculty Responsibilities Related to Students with Disabilities:

  • Refer students to the DRC to have disabilities documented and appropriate accommodations determined.
  • Include a syllabus statement for each course, informing students about the availability of reasonable accommodations and alternate-format materials.
  • Help provide reasonable accommodations, including the use of auxiliary aides, note-takers, interpreters, and access to printed and web-based materials.
  • Show confidence in students' abilities to achieve their intellectual, personal, and academic potential.
  • Keep disability-related information confidential.
  • Discuss all student-related information directly with the student, rather than with his/her aide or interpreter.

Am I allowed to miss classes because of my disability?

At USU students are expected to attend classes, laboratory periods, examinations, and clinical assignments, as well as adhere to the attendance policies set by faculty. If a student feels that he/she may need additional flexibility because of a disability, the student remains responsible for fulfilling the essential requirements of the course. The essential requirements are defined by the instructor, who determines if and when these requirements have been met. Faculty are not required to compromise the essential elements of the course as an accommodation.

With this understanding, students who feel that they may need an attendance adjustment should follow the following procedure in making their request:

  • Review the course syllabus to determine the instructor's attendance expectations.
  • Meet with a DRC counselor to discuss your specific needs.
  • Obtain current documentation from your health care provider that specifically addresses your need for an attendance adjustment. (A form is provided by the DRC.)
  • Meet with faculty to determine if the request is reasonable and necessary.
  • If the request is granted, prepare a written agreement with the instructor to define the attendance adjustment.

How do I arrange for services or disability-related academic adjustments?

Students must meet with their DRC counselor at the beginning of each semester to discuss the services that they will need. The counselor will provide a letter or form for the student to deliver to his/her instructors, or a note for their DRC record, indicating other approved services.

The two most common DRC forms are the Testing Accommodation Form and the Classroom Accommodation Form. The Testing Accommodation Form is used exclusively to request adjustments in administering examinations, such as additional time or a distraction-free testing environment. The Classroom Accommodation Form is used for accommodations that are unique to the student, such as special seating arrangements, the need to stand up during class, or health-related issues. Please talk with your counselor about the Classroom Accommodation Form.

It is recommended that students take accommodation forms to their instructors during faculty office hours. This will allow instructors to read the forms and discuss adjustments with the student before completely filling out the forms. Many students prefer not to discuss accommodation issues in the presence of other students. By meeting faculty in their offices, students have more confidentiality and an opportunity to develop better relationships with their instructors. Faculty appreciate these accommodation contacts early in the semester and are most willing to work with students who keep them informed of unique situations as they arise.

Other needed services should be discussed directly with your DRC counselor.

[Back to Top]

Medical Leave

Students who have medical emergencies are encouraged to apply for medical leave prior to the published drop date for each semester. Late withdrawals are not automatic even for the most critical medical situations. A request for late withdrawal made late in the semester may be denied. In such an event, students may file an appeal with the Provost's Office. Tuition refunds are determined in accordance with the U university's published refund schedule. The forms needed for withdrawal, leave of absence, academic adjustment, and appeals can be found on the Registrar's website.

Please check the class syllabus or the semester Schedule of Classes for information on late withdrawal or medical leave. Students should also check with the Financial Aid Office, their academic advisor, Vocational Rehabilitation, and the Registrar prior to withdrawal to determine the consequences of leaving school midterm.

[Back to Top]

Accessibility and Safety

Most of the buildings at USU are accessible to persons with mobility impairments and have been equipped with appropriate warning devices. Accessibility information is available from the DRC or online. Students and visitors who identify a location that is not accessible are encouraged to contact the DRC at (435) 797-2444, so that we may identify and address architectural or other barriers. In the event that a classroom or lab is not accessible, the class may be moved to a different location. Please contact the DRC if additional modifications are needed.

Is the USU campus safe for a person with a disability?

USU has made every attempt to make the campus safe for all students. Appropriate fire alarms are in place, and all safety code requirements have been addressed. Persons with disabilities may have individual needs that should be considered. Students and visitors are encouraged to be attentive to the possibility of an evacuation emergency, and evaluate the locations where they reside and attend class, identifying possible evacuation routes. People who may require evacuation assistance should go to the nearest designated safe area and await assistance. Evacuation equipment (EvacuTrac) for persons with mobility impairments is located on the eighth floor of the Business Building, on the fifth floor of the University Inn, and in the incident command response van. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to use cell phones and other electronic devices to assist with location in the event of an emergency.

[Back to Top]

Accessible parking

Permits for accessible parking may be obtained from USU Parking and Transportation Services. Students seeking permits should first obtain a placard issued by the state in which the vehicle is licensed. Students must supply medical information in order to get a permit. Forms can be picked up at the Cache County Courthouse, First Floor Assessor's Office, 179 North Main, Logan , (435) 716-7110. Their hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. , Monday through Friday.

USU Annual Disabled Stickers:

A permit purchased from the University is required and must be affixed to the state disabled-placard that hangs from the rearview mirror. If a disabled license plate is used, a staff or student hanging permit will be issued. Once you have obtained your USU parking permit, you may park in any "disabled-only" parking space on campus. If the disabled spaces are occupied, you may park in any other legal space.

Temporary Medical Permits:

USU also issues temporary medical permits to students or staff members having a short-term mobility limitation (i.e., recent surgery, broken leg, etc.). The permit allows access to specific parking areas during the individual's class times or working hours.

In order to be issued a temporary medical permit, you must:

1. Have your doctor sign a verification form, that verifies your disability limitations and the duration that special access is needed.

2. Bring the signed form, along with your current class registration if you are a student, to USU Parking and Transportation Services. (Please allow 24 hours for processing.)

3. Purchase a student or staff permit. To be valid, a temporary permit must be placed on the dashboard of the driver's side, so that it may be easily seen through the window.

[Back to Top]

Transportation services

Aggie Shuttle:

The Aggie Shuttle provides on-campus transportation with four routes, operating from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. , Monday through Friday, as well as one evening route, operating from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Complete Aggie Shuttle maps are available on any Aggie Shuttle Bus, at USU Parking and Transportation Services, and at the Visitor Information Center.

Other Transportation Options:

The Logan Transit District (LTD) operates local buses and buses that serve the greater Cache Valley. All buses are wheelchair-accessible and are no cost, including paratransit buses. Users of paratransit buses must apply for this service and provide appropriate documentation. For more information, contact LTD at (435) 752-2877.

  • Logan Taxi Cab (435) 753-3663
  • Cache Valley Cab (435) 752-4555
  • The Cache Valley Limousine Airport Shuttle (435) 754-6400 provides shuttle service to and from the Salt Lake City International Airport.

Service/Therapy Animals

Service animals are welcome at Utah State University. The Department of Justice States that, "Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA."

Support Animals

Support animals may be allowed in USU housing as a reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals. To qualify for this accommodation individuuals must provide documentation that demonstrates that 1) they are an individual with a disability, 2) the animal is necessary to afford the individual an equal opptorunity to use and enjoy their dwelling, and 3) there is a relationship between the disability and the assistance the amimal provides. Contact the DRC for further information about receiving approval for a support animal in housing.

[Back to Top]


Accessible housing is available at USU. Contact Housing and Dining Services at (435) 797-3113 for more information about on-campus housing options. Students having specific disability-related needs may request reasonable accommodations. The DRC will coordinate closely with Housing and Dining Services to address individual student needs.

[Back to Top]

Financial Assistance

USU students may qualify for a number of financial aid programs, including grants, scholarships, and loans. Applications for these programs are available online from the Financial Aid Office.

The DRC also has a few competitive scholarships available as well. Please visit our scholarship page for more information.

There may also be assistance from a number of other programs, including the Utah State Office of Rehabilitation. DRC counselors are happy to discuss financial aid options with students.

[Back to Top]

Grievance Procedure

This Grievance Procedure may be used by any student who wishes to file a complaint alleging discrimination on the basis of disability in the provision of services, activities, programs, or benefits by Utah State University.

Students are encouraged to first discuss any concerns with their DRC counselor. She/he will be the person most knowledgeable about your situation and most concerns will be resolved at this level. If need be DRC Director David Pruden will work with the student and counselor resolve problems informally. If the issue is not sufficiency resolved a formal complaint may be filed.

The complaint should be in writing and contain information about the alleged discrimination. It should be submitted as soon as possible but no later than 30 calendar days after the alleged violation to:

David Pruden
Interim Director
Disability Resource Center
University Inn #105

Within 15 calendar days after receipt of the complaint David will speak with the student to discuss the complaint and the possible resolutions.  Within 7 calendar days of the meeting David respond in writing explain the position of the DRC.                                             

If the response by David does not satisfactorily resolve the issue, the complainant may appeal the decision within 15 calendar days after receipt of the response to:

James Morales
Vice President for Student Services
Taggart Student Center, Room 220
(435) 797-1712

Within 15 calendar days after receipt of the appeal he will speak with the student individually to resolve problems related to services and treatment. Within 7 calendar days he VP Morales will respond in writing explaining the position of USU.

The Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Office, located in room 115 of the Military Science building, (435) 797-1266 will review either formal or informal disability-related complaints following the process outlined in Article VII, Section 4 of the USU Student Code.

Although students are encouraged to try to resolve grievances within the campus, you also have the right to file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights at any time . Additional information on the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 can be found online at http://www.adainformation.com/ and at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission website at http://eeoc.gov/ .

[Back to Top]

What other supportive services are available for students at USU?

Utah Assistive Technology Program (UATP)

UATP is a division of the Center for Persons with Disabilities (CPD) at USU, and supports the Assistive Technology (AT) Laboratory, where devices are designed and built to meet the individual needs of clients. The AT Lab trains students to design, use, and repair mobility devices such as wheelchairs and scooters. Some of these devices are available for short - term loan. The AT Lab also has a fully - equipped adapted computer laboratory , which offers the use of adaptive software and hardware to enable persons with disabilities to learn and use computer - based assistive technologies. UATP provides assistive technology training, information , and AT assessment and evaluation services. It also administers the Assistive Technology Foundation, which provides low - interest loans for the purchase of assistive technology. The Assistive Technology Lab is located in the Janet Quinney Lawson Building, (435) 797-0699. The UATP main office can be reached at (435) 797-3824.

Emotional, Relationship, or Family Concerns:

Intellectual/Academic Support:

Physical Activities:

  • Informal Recreation: Basketball, racquetball, rock climbing wall, running, swimming, table tennis, tennis, volleyball, walking, wallyball, and weight lifting are offered. For more information about free time facilities, call (435) 797-1503.
  • Club Sports: Clubs are offered for ballroom dance, baseball, fencing, hockey, karate, kayaking, lacrosse, master's swim, racquetball, rodeo, rugby, scuba, skiing, soccer, table tennis, tae kwon do, ultimate frisbee, volleyball, and water polo. Further information about sport clubs is available by calling (435) 797-7218.
  • Intramural Sports: Students may participate in basketball, flag football, frisbee golf, golf, indoor and outdoor soccer, ultimate frisbee, racquetball, softball, table tennis, triathlon, tennis, turkey trot, volleyball, and wallyball. For more information about intramural sports, call (435) 797-1504.
  • The Outdoor Recreation Center (ORC) includes a rental shop, an outdoor trips program, and alternative programs. Contact the ORC at (435) 797-3264.
  • Common Ground Outdoor Adventures provides outdoor recreational opportunities for youth and adults with disabilities. Adaptive equipment is also provided. You may contact them at (435) 713-0288 or visit them at 290 North 400 East, Logan.

Social Activities:

ASUSU. helps keep students informed about campus events.

Occupational Counseling:

USU Career Services, located in University Inn 102, offers career and job search assistance.

Financial Concerns:

Financial counseling is available at:

Please feel free to contact the DRC with any other questions at: (435) 797-2444.

[Back to Top]