Disability Resource Center

Utah State University Logo


When you graduate from high school, and you have a disability, you are no longer covered under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). However, you will be protected by the Americans with Disabilities Education Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Education is now no longer considered as a right and you must meet certain admissions criteria defined under the ADA as “otherwise qualified.” No fundamental alterations are required but universities must provide equal access for students with disabilities.

Your Responsibility:

You must self-identify and must provide documentation of your disability. If no documentation is available, you are responsible for paying for the evaluation. Another provider, such as the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, may sometimes pay for such an evaluation. The documentation must be done by a qualified provider, and must verify the disability, describe the extent/severity of the impairment and provide information regarding the functional impact of the disability which supports the need for a specific accommodation. You must identify your needs and request services. Remember that attendance may be considered as an essential element of some courses and therefore not always subject to a waiver or reduction. It is the student’s responsibility to study each professor’s syllabus to determine the requirements of the course and ask for accommodations in a timely manner preferably the first week of the course. It is also recommended that you enroll in a study skills course such as Psychology 1730 (see ARC) during your first semester in college.

DRC’s Responsibility:

The DRC advisor will conduct an intake and ascertain whether or not you are eligible for services. Eligibility is determined based on the information provided in the medial or psychological documentation and the definition of disability as outlined by the Americans with Disabilities Act. The DRC advisor will review all of the information and decide if the student meets DRC eligibility criteria. If documentation is sufficient, the DRC advisor will collaborate with you to determine what services and accommodations are appropriate. You will receive a written statement of eligibility from the DRC. The DRC advisor may also refer you to appropriate university and community resources.