Housing And Residence Life
Take a break from your finals and join us for a low-key…
This exhibits showcases works of art that share a…
This exhibit showcases, for the first time, the…
This exhibit features 50 photographs that were selected…
Seminar title: "Assessing Plant Community Structure…
Everything is a package deal. I don't have to worry about separate utility bills, unforseen maintenance, or significantly deviant roommates.
- Kenneth R. (Sophomore, Reeder Hall)
- How do I block unwanted channels?
- Why do some channels have no sound or only music?
- My TV has no picture or poor picture quality. What do I do?
- I lost the TV or VCR remote.
- Why does my TV or VCR only get some available channels?
- Who do I call for more help?
How do I block unwanted channels?
ATV suggests three methods to block programs that housing residents may deem as inappropriate:
Since 1998, the FCC has required all television manufacturers to install the V-Chip. By using the remote, your TV can be programmed to block content that exceeds specified ratings. Most manufacturers include a parental passcode that allows this technology to be a powerful ally in screening what is brought into the home.
- Add/Delete section of equipment menu
Most equipment comes with a setup menu, accessible with your remote, which will allow you to select which channels should be removed from the list of memorized channels. The add/delete function edits this internal list so that when the channel up or down button is used, the equipment selects the next valid channel from its list.
This method uses an external device to remove a specific channel or set of channels. ATV provides filters for certain channels free of charge (custom filters available for a fee). For further information, please call Housing Maintenance at 797-3117.
Why do some channels have no sound or only music?
- Check to make sure that the TV or VCR volume is not turned all the way down or set to mute.
- Possible station problem. Please call and check with Housing Maintenance at 797-3117.
- Is the SAP audio option enabled? Access TV or VCR menu and change from SAP to mono or stereo.
- If the TV or VCR has earphone jack, make sure the earphones are unplugged.
My TV has no picture or poor picture quality. What do I do?
- Make sure the VCR is turned off or in the TV mode setting.
- If using VCR turner to receive programming, make sure TV is set to VCR output channel (i.e. channel 3).
- Make sure all cable connections to the TV, VCR, and other devices are secure
- Replace excessively long coax cable because it can have a negative impact on signal quality. Jumper cables are available free-of-charge at the Housing Physical Facilities office.
- Your TV could be faulty. Check the connection with a friend's TV set.
- Please call and check for station problems with Housing Maintenance at 797-3117.
I lost the TV or VCR remote.
- On some models of TV's and VCR's the remote control is the only way you can access the available menu functions. Contact a local vendor or look on the Internet for an original replacement remote.
Why does my TV or VCR only get some available channels?
- Your TV or VCR may have defaulted to antenna mode. Access the TV or VCR menu and change from antenna to CATV mode.
- Your TV or VCR may not be programmed to receive all available channels. Access the TV or VCR menu and select auto-program or use Add/Del menu.
- Some older TV's or VCR's have limited tuner capabilities therefore cannot receive some available upper channels (i.e. channels 78 - 116).
Who do I call for more help?
- Call the Housing Maintenance number at 797-3117.