USU Human Resources




How can you tell if a candidate can get work authorization?



Search committees should (and can, lawfully) ask interviewees if they have current U. S. work authorization. If the individual answers, "Yes," you may ask what visa the individual has. Usually, individuals finishing their PhDs in the United States have an F-1 visa. Often, individuals with J visas are required to return to their home country for a minimum of two years prior to accepting U.S. employment (sometimes the two year home stay is waived). An H (specialty) visa is temporary in nature (maximum of six [6] years at a time).

Posted on 30 Jun 2009

HR Office

Other Questions In This Topic