Intensive English Language Institute
International Teaching Assistant Training
The Intensive English Language Institute cooperates with the School of Graduate Studies in training international teaching assistants (ITA). This training is conducted just prior to each fall semester and again during fall semester.
During training, ITAs learn to
- present content material in an instructional sequence.
- use audiovisuals to enhance student understanding and lessen communication problems.
- use classroom language that creates a cooperative atmosphere in the class.
- handle student questions and requests in a way that enhances learning and communicates availability.
- organize classroom presentations to maximize interaction between the teacher and students.
- integrate knowledge of American cultural elements into an effective understanding of an student-centered classroom.
For more information, contact the ITA Training Coordinator.