Housing and Meals
Seminar participants will be housed in the dorms at St. John's University, on Lord Mayor’s Walk campus, York. Residences are arranged in small blocks around gardens in the center of the main campus in its attractive setting next to the City Walls and York Minster just minutes from the city center bars, restaurants, and other attractions. The campus is approximately 5-minutes’ walk from the city center and 20-minutes’ walk from the train station.
Available accommodations are as follows:
Single study bedrooms with shared bathroom and toilet facilities (only 8 are available): Single bedrooms contain a washbasin, towels, complimentary tea and coffee-making facilities and a study area. Bathroom facilities and toilets are shared and contain showers or baths.
Room only - £21.00 per person, per night (+VAT)
Bed and breakfast - £24.00 per person, per night (+VAT)
Single study bedrooms with En-suite (only 10 available): Single bedrooms contain a washbasin, towels, complimentary tea and coffee-making facilities and a study area and bathroom facilities include toilets and showers or baths.
Room only - £35.00 per person, per night (+VAT)
Bed and breakfast - £40.10 per person, per night (+VAT)
Breakfast: The breakfast facilities are located in the Dining Room located directly opposite the accommodation blocks. Please see campus map – the Dining Room is number 5.
Please note that breakfast can only be guaranteed Sunday-Thursday night. Friday and Saturday, the dorm requires a minimum of 20 diners to apply for breakfast.
- --Rooms are not air-conditioned and fans are not provided. If the weather is hot, consider purchasing a small fan from a local department store. The rooms are located in one of older building and so tend to stay fairly cool.
- --Rooms/serviced are cleaned daily.
- --Bedding (sheets, blankets, pillows, towels) are provided and are changed every third day.
- --Laundry facilities are available on-site.
- --There are no refrigerators in the rooms, but there is a small kitchen area with a fridge and tea- and coffee-making facilities are located in all of the accommodation blocks.
- --WiFi is available in the bedrooms, guests can request a log on to access this from the main reception when they arrive.
- --One handicapped-accessible room is available.
- --A walk-in medical center is located at York Hospital, approximately 8-10 minutes’ walk away from the university where guests can seek medical help. An Emergency Department is also located there.
Billing: Each participant will receive a bill itemizing charges for rooms, meals, phone calls, and other incidental expenses.
*Important Note* Because securing these accommodations during a busy tourist season required a non-refundable deposit, each participant's stipend will be reduced by $238.50. For those who stay in the dorms, this amount will be applied to their final bill. For those who do not choose to stay in the dorms, this money will be forfeited.
The NEH neither encourages nor discourages participants from bringing family members with them, but those who do so will be responsible for their own living arrangements.
Link with pictures and information about the dorms:
Please note that the dorms are #31 on the campus map illustrated here.