USU-Online Student Handbook
For new students, getting started is a four step process: admission, registration, payment, and attendance.
You must be fully admitted to earn a degree from USU, however full admission is not required to enroll in online courses. Students who want to take courses but not earn a USU degree may complete our simple Quick Admission application.
Quick Admission is typically completed within 1-2 business days and is free! The benefits of Quick Admission are:
- Admission is free
- You can register for courses within a couple of days
- Full admission can still be completed at a later date
However, until you are fully admitted to the university, you cannot receive financial aid. In addition, you can only take a limited number of credits until you must be fully admitted to the university to complete your degree.
After admission through either method, you may register for courses during open registration times. Go to Registration for more information.
Students who have been accepted to Utah State University and have a student identification number (also known as an A-Number) may complete the following steps to create their login credentials.
- Visit http://ID.usu.edu/new
- Enter your University A-Number and the validation text, then click continue
- If you do not know your A-Number visit: https://id.usu.edu/Personal/Lookup/1/.
- Verify you have access to your "Preferred Email" account by placing a check in the I have access box, then click Send Email
- Check your "Preferred Email" account for a new email titled Create Your USU Password
- Click on the link within the email or copy/paste the link into a web browser. This will open a webpage within the student's
default web browser
- The link is valid for two (2) hours and may be used (1) time
- If needed you may revisit ID.usu.edu/new to create a new email and a new link
- Enter your desired password following the password rules, then click Change Password
- Next, create your Challenge Questions, (these will be used if you forget your password), then presscontinue
- Your password is now ready to use!
- Please allow 5 minutes before logging into USU systems to allow your password to replicate to the USU central authentication server
If you have questions or need assistance please contact the IT Service Desk at 797-HELP (4357) or toll-free 1-877-878-8325
Admitted students may go to MyUSU and register for online courses using Access (Banner). Login using the A# you received when you were admitted. If you have not already setup your login information, you must first do so at the USU Identity website. Find the course(s) you wish to register for and then select the campus closest to you. If you are not located in Utah select "Out of State".
Another option is to register in person at your local regional campus.
For more information visit the Registrar's website.
Payments can be made through the Registrar's Office with cash/check or online through TouchNet with MasterCard, Discover Card, American Express, or web checks.
For financial aid information, application deadlines, and types of financial aid please contact the USU Financial Aid Office at 435-797-1073 or visit the financial aid website. It is suggested students apply early for financial aid because of complex federal requirements. It can take up to three months to process an accurate application. To be eligible for financial aid, student must be fully admitted to USU.
Online courses are conducted in an online system called Canvas. Courses are designed for students to submit assignments online and interact with their instructors and classmates via email and online discussions. Most courses follow the academic calendar. On the first day of the course, as listed on your schedule, you should log in to Canvas to become familiar with the course structure and requirements. If the course link does not appear in Canvas on the day when your course should start, contact your instructor.