Utah State University Logo

Aggie Parents and Family

Frequently Asked Questions

Getting Started

Is it required for first-year students to live on campus?

No, but it is highly recommended. Students who live on campus have a great support structure to help them through their transition to college. Resident assistants are trained to help their residents with USU questions, roommate conflicts, and other transitional issues. The Residence Life program also holds several events to help students make friends and feel connected to the university. More on-campus housing information can be found at http://housing.usu.edu.

Does my student need a car?

No. Having a car is nice, but not necessary. Logan city has a bus system called CVTD that will transport students anywhere in Cache Valley at zero-fare. The Aggie Shuttle system will transport them around campus for free as well. City bus schedules can be found at http://cvtdbus.org/ and Aggie Shuttle schedules can be found at http://parking.usu.edu/.

Does my student need a computer and/or printer?

No. USU has 11 open-access computer labs on campus that are equipped with the latest hardware and software. Many students have their own computer, but many get by using the on-campus computer labs. Most students print in the on-campus labs. Students can even print wirelessly from their laptop or desktop to the on campus computer lab printers.

Should my student buy a meal plan?

Some on-campus housing contracts require the purchase of a basic traditional meal plan. All students can purchase traditional or block meal plans. Traditional meal plans give the student a fixed number of meals per week, and those meals do not carry over and cannot be used for friends and family. Block meal plans are a set number of meals purchased at a discount that do carry over and can be used anytime and by anyone who accompanies your student to a meal. Many students purchase a traditional meal plan for a set number of meals per week, and then also purchase a supplemental block meal plan that they can use if they run out of meals one week or if they want to take a friend to dinner. Specific prices can be found at http://www.usu.edu/dining/htm/meal-plan-information.

Students can also add money to their Aggie Express account on the USU ID Card. Aggie Express is a campus debit account that can be used at all Dining Services locations, copy centers, computer labs, the parking office, the Bookstore, and just about anywhere on campus. Most students add money to their account at http://www.usu.edu/usucard and then use that to pay for food on campus. As an added bonus, students receive a 10% discount at all Dining Services locations on campus.

What do you recommend for airport transportation?

The Salt Lake Express is the main shuttle company that offers transportation between the Salt Lake International Airport and Logan. You can find more information at (http://www.saltlakeexpress.com/) or call 1-800-356-9796 to make reservations.

How much does it cost to attend Utah State University?

For up-to-date tuition tables and an Aggie Cost Calculator, go to http://www.usu.edu/admissions/tuition-costs/. You can find specific on-campus housing prices at http://housing.usu.edu.

Student Resources

What resources are available for students?

USU has a variety of student resources that are funded through student fees. Your student receives information about these services at SOAR, and you can also find more information about them at www.usu.edu/student-life/services/.

Where should my student go if he or she gets sick? Is medical insurance required?

Registered USU students, their spouses, and dependents can receive health care for little to no cost at the Student Health Center. The center is staffed with fully certified nurses, doctors, and pharmacists. Students are not required to have health insurance to use the services or to receive prescriptions from the pharmacy. If a student does have health insurance and needs prescriptions or specialized services, the doctors or pharmacist will help the student price options and recommend the best provider. More information is available at www.usu.edu/health/.

How can I add money to my student's Aggie Express debit account?

Students can add money to their account at www.usu.edu/usucard. Parents can add money to their student's account over the phone by calling the USU Card Office at (435) 797-3852. Be sure you know your student's A-number and security phrase to get any information you may need regarding his or her account.

What does my student do if he or she needs to take a leave of absence?

Your student can complete an online Leave of Absence request form at www.usu.edu/loa. If your student's request is approved this Leave of Absence will hold your student's USU scholarships, retain his or her status as a student, and make sure there are no loose ends with federal financial aid.

A checklist of things you and your student can do to prepare for them to take an extended Leave of Absence (Missionary/Military Service) is available at www.usu.edu/sots/loa.

My son or daughter has a learning disability. How do we receive assistance for him or her?

The USU Disability Resource Center provides resources for students with learning disabilities. The best way to start the process is to go to www.usu.edu/drc/prospectivestudents/ and follow the step-by-step directions.

General Questions

I am worried about my son or daughter, who do I call?

Unless it is an emergency, call the parent helpline at (435) 797-7557. That will connect you to a university administrator who will have a conversation with you and/or your student and direct you to appropriate help. If it is an emergency, call the USU Police Department directly at (435) 797-1939.

Once my student is enrolled, can I look at his or her grades?

Due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), you do not have access to your student's educational and financial aid records unless your student gives you permission to do so.

Securityphrases and Delegates

Your student can set up a securityphrase and share it with you so that you can request or have conversations about their personal information over the telephone.

Your student can also give you permission when they assign you as a delegate. This action will allow the assigned delegate to act in behalf of a student at USU. A delegate is especially useful for, but not limited to, students who may be taking a leave of absence from the University for church or military service. If your student plans to take a leave of absence, a delegate can assist them in making a smooth transition back to USU upon their return.

Your student can set up a securityphrase and assign delegates at: myid.usu.edu Problems? Call (435) 797-4357

For more information about the privacy rights for students, go to www.usu.edu/registrar/htm/ferpa-info.

Should my student have a job while in school?

Most students work part time while attending USU. We recommend that students work no more than 20 hours per week while taking a full-time schedule. USU Career Services lists all on-campus employment opportunities, as well as many off-campus jobs on a website called Career AGGIE. You and your student can access Career AGGIE here: www.usu.edu/studemp.

Is it hard to find a job in Logan?

Depending on the time of year there may be several students competing for jobs. New jobs are posted daily on the student employment website called Career AGGIE. Most students can find a job that suits their needs, and there are several customer service and call-center companies who recruit USU students year-round. If your student is experiencing difficulty finding a job, encourage them to check the employment site daily and to remain optimistic. You might also encourage them to visit the Career Services office on campus for resume assistance and other helpful hiring tips.

Is the USU campus safe?

Logan consistently ranks among the safest metropolitan areas in the nation. Although crime does occur on campus, USU has a low crime rate when compared to similar campuses. The USU Department of Public Safety does a phenomenal job of educating students and keeping the campus safe. The full-service USU Police Department provides jumpstarts, lockout assistance, and personal escorts from one location on campus to another. They also educate students through courses such as the Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) course. You can view annual reports and get crime prevention tips at www.usu.edu/dps/.

How do I obtain enrollment verifications for insurance purposes?

Once your student has enrolled, he or she can print a schedule of classes from the Access (Banner) student information system. If your insurance requires a more official verification, you can contact the Enrollment Verification coordinator at (435) 797-1102.

What are the dates of school breaks so I can plan my student's flights home?

The academic calendar can be found at www.usu.edu/calendar/academic.cfm. It is best to wait to book flights home after a semester until you are certain of your student's finals schedule. Final exams are listed on each course syllabus and can also be found by going to www.usu.edu/registrar/htm/calendars and selecting the Final Exam Schedule link for a specific semester.

Tuition/Fee Payment and Financial Aid

How do I pay my student's bill?

Student bills are paid through a secure online system known as TouchNet. Your student can create an authorized-user account for you in the TouchNet system so you can log in, view, and pay charges on your student's account. To log into the TouchNet system, go to www.usu.edu/myusu or click here.

Please note that Utah State University does not send a paper bill to students or parents. Electronic bills can be accessed in both TouchNet and the Access student information system.

What payment methods are accepted?

Payments can be made using:

  • MasterCard
  • Discover
  • American Express
  • Visa

Payments with a debit/credit card incur a 2.75% convenience fee. However, payments can also be made using an electronic check with no convenience fee.

How does my student obtain residency for tuition purposes?

Up-to-date residency requirements can be found at http://www.usu.edu/admissions/residency/. Specific residency questions can be directed to the USU Admissions Office at (800) 488-8108.

What scholarships are available to incoming students?

Incoming student scholarships are awarded through the USU Admissions Office. Specific deadlines and requirements can be found at http://www.usu.edu/admissions/scholarships/. Additionally, students with parents or grandparents who attended Utah State can apply for alumni chapter scholarships through the Alumni Office.

What scholarships are available to current students?

Once your student has decided on a major, he or she will belong to one of eight academic colleges. Each college awards scholarships to continuing students through a separate application process. Your student should go to the dean's office of his or her college in December or January to ask for a scholarship application. Deadlines are typically February 1 for the following academic year. A list of the colleges can be found at http://www.usu.edu/academics/colleges/.

Who can help us apply for financial aid and assess different payment options?

Each student is assigned a financial aid counselor to help them navigate the often overwhelming process of paying for college. To find a list of counselors, go to http://www.usu.edu/finaid/about/. Helpful checklists and other information can be found at http://www.usu.edu/finaid/.

I'm worried about my student taking out loans. What if they have a hard time paying them back?

Most students take out student loans to help pay for college. Loans can be a great tool to help students graduate in a timely manner. They can also allow students to work less, freeing up valuable time to study, join extracurricular activities, and socialize. It is important to borrow wisely, however. Financial aid counselors in the Financial Aid Office are the best resource for making sure you and your student are taking the best loan options available as far as interest rates and repayment terms. To find your student's counselor, go to http://www.usu.edu/finaid/about/. You can also find a loan repayment calculator at Bankrate.com to help you estimate what the monthly loan payment will be after graduation.


What degrees are offered at Utah State University?

A list of degrees can be found at http://www.usu.edu/degrees/. Keep in mind that some majors are listed as emphasis areas within degree programs. For example, Exercise Science is an emphasis area within the Human Movement Science degree. If you are not sure if a certain degree is offered at Utah State University, call the New Student Orientation office at (435) 797-0283.

My student wants to major in something within the medical field. What options are available?

USU offers degrees to prepare students for a variety of health professions. A list of medical fields and corresponding majors can be found at http://www.usu.edu/medical.

How does my student find his or her academic advisor?

Advisors for each major can be found at advising.usu.edu

How does my student change his or her major?

To change a major, declare a dual major, or declare a minor, your student should contact the academic advisor for the new major or minor. Advisors can be found at advising.usu.edu.

The new advisor will discuss degree requirements and help your student complete the necessary paperwork to officially change the major in the USU system.