A sabbatical leave of absence with compensation for a period of up to one year may be approved for tenured faculty members as determined by the appropriate dean, director, or vice president, and provost (USU Policy 365). The purpose of sabbatical leave is to provide tenured faculty members with an opportunity to renew, update, and broaden their teaching, research, and professional skills and knowledge, which will enhance their contributions to the university and their profession.
To be eligible for sabbatical leave, faculty members must be employed at the university with the rank of instructor or higher for six years and must be tenured before the proposed leave begins.
Submission Deadline: Tuesday, February 14, 2017
Faculty may apply for sabbatical leave through Curriculog by following the instructions below. More detailed instructions are available at step by step instructions for faculty (for best results, access PowerPoint through Firefox).
- Log in to Curriculog using your A number and strong password.
- Click on the + New Proposal link in the top left corner.
- Select Sabbatical Leave Application from the processes list and click on it. It may appear on the second page.
- Click the blue circle with a checkmark to the right to start the proposal.
- Read and follow the instructions on the form and then submit to the approval queue. Be sure to attach all necessary documents before submitting (proposal, CV, letters of invitation).
- Contact the Provost's Office at (435) 797-1840 with any questions about this form.
Applications for sabbatical leave planned for the following full fiscal or academic year must be reviewed and approved by academic unit administrators by February 14. As such, faculty are encouraged to begin the process in Curriculog at least one week in advance. Applications for sabbatical leaves of shorter durations or with other begin dates must be submitted via Curriculog to the Provost's Office at least six months prior to the beginning of the proposed leave.
For more information on sabbatical leave, please contact:
Janis L. Boettinger
Phone: (435) 797-8176