Undergraduate Faculty Mentor of the Year 2018
The Undergraduate Faculty Mentor of the Year Award is given each year to recognize and encourage excellence in academic mentoring. Other teaching and scholarly activities may be considered in the selection process, but the main emphasis is on excellence in academic mentoring as judged by faculty and students.
Each dean will appoint a committee comprised of students, faculty, and administration to select an outstanding faculty mentor from the college. From the eight college nominees, the Faculty Evaluation Committee will select a Faculty Mentor of the Year. The award recipient will be recognized at the annual Robins Awards Ceremony in April 2018 and will receive $1,000.
The nominee must be serving in a full-time faculty position. Staff members who work as full time advisors should not be nominated.
Other considerations for selection of nominees include:
- availability to advisees,
- frequency of contact with advisees,
- monitoring of student progress toward academic and career goals,
- mastery of institutional regulations, policies, and procedures,
- number of students assigned for advising purposes, and
- evidence of involvement in student clubs, organizations, or leadership development.
Because so many individuals are potentially deserving of this award, past recipients will not be considered.
Submission deadline: Friday, February 9, 2018
The following required nomination materials must be prepared in 12 pt. font and not exceed 20 pages:
- a one to two page statement from the candidate summarizing his or her objectives as a mentor, how these objectives are met, and the number and type of students mentored per year,
- letters from former mentees describing the impact of mentoring (it would be beneficial if these letters came from alumni as well as current enrollees),
- letters from colleagues attesting to the candidate's impact on mentees,
- evidence of extracurricular advising (clubs, etc.),
- a one to two page letter from the department head explaining the candidate's role and impact as a mentor,
- the number of students mentored per year,
- a short biography (two-paragraph maximum), and
- a professional portrait.
Submit materials in PDF format via electronic form.
For more information on the Undergraduate Faculty Mentor of the Year Award, please contact:
Phone: (435) 797-0121