Skip to main content

TOPIC: Registration


Registration begins in November for spring semesters and April for fall semesters (see the Registration Calendar for exact dates).  Students are eligible to begin registration based on their number of earned hours.  Earned hours are located at the bottom of the unofficial transcript in Banner.  Classes in progress will not count towards earned hours.

0-29 credits ...............................Freshman
30-59 credits..............................................................Sophomore
60-89 credits..............................................................Junior
more than 89 credits......................................................... Senior

Payment to the University may be made by personal check, traveler’s check, bank money order, or cashier’s check in U.S. funds only. DO NOT SEND CASH! To pay by mail, be sure to include your name and student number (A#) and send payment to the following address: Registrar’s Office, Utah State University, 1600 Old Main Hill, Logan UT 84322-1600.

Registering to audit a course is not permitted during priority registration. After priority registration, the student must get signed permission from the course instructor. For a complete explanation of auditing courses, please see Academic Policies.

At the Registrar’s Office, you must complete a Change of Information form and provide proof of legal name-change on your social security card.

Students wishing to drop all of their classes must visit the Office of Retention and First-Year Experience (TSC 105) to complete the appropriate paperwork and for an exit interview. Fees will be refunded only according to the Refund Policy.

Undergraduate students will need to fill out a Leave of Absence at:

Matriculated Graduate students will need to fill out the Leave of Absence/Continuous Registration form available on the Graduate School Forms page
Matriculated Graduate students should also email with their name, A-Number, and degree program regarding a final course drop.
Non-Matriculated Graduate students should email

Login is accomplished by going Here. If you require assistance, please contact the IT Services Help Desk for assistance 435.797.HELP (4358).

If you have questions regarding your admission, please contact the Admissions Office, TSC 102, (435) 797-1096.

Ask your advisor. Advisors are trained, friendly professionals. Do not rely on friends, siblings, or yourself to select classes.

Students may register or add through the ACCESS system, or in person in TSC 246.

If you have received one of the following errors please follow the process listed below to assist you:

PREQ : The course(s) that you are trying to register for have a pre-requisite required, please contact your advisor if further advising is necessary, then use the Registration Options Form to get the required signatures from the department responsible for this course
CO-REQ: The course you are trying to register for requires another course to be registered simultaneously (eg. lab, recitations, other course, etc.), please contact the advisor for the course for further help if necessary,

LINK: a specific recitation or lab section is required to be registered along with the lecture course, please add the linked section with the main section, contact the advisor for the course if you require assistance.

ADVISOR: the student has a hold placed on their record by their advisor or advising department, the student must visit with their advisor to have this hold cleared. If you do not know your advisor please contact University Advising and Transfer Services

MAJOR: these courses are reserved to students within the specified major, contact the specific department for further information

CLOSED SECTION: The section is closed due to class being full, only the primary instructor can extend this after the first week of the semester, the Registration Options Form must be complete with the appropriate signature

INSTRUCTOR: must contact the Instructor for further information. Please use the Registration Options Form and make sure it is completed with the correct signatures for each of these situations as required and bring the form in person to the Registrar's Office (TSC 246).

Additional error messages can be found at

To verify student enrollment and degree status, submit a Request For Verification Form to the Registrar’s Office. You may consider the option of utilizing the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) to verify enrollment and degrees. For more information regarding the NSC, call them at (703) 742- 7791 or visit their website:

Students wanting to register for more than 18 credits must present their advisor’s signed authorization to the Registrar’s Office.

A five-day period, designated as No-test Days, precedes the five days of final examinations which are normally scheduled at the close of each academic semester. During No-test Days, no major examinations, including final examinations, will be given; this will allow students to concentrate on classwork, the completion of special assignments, writing projects, and preparation for duly scheduled final examinations.

Beginning in 1980 Utah State University began it's transition to an electronic based records keeping system. If you attended prior to or graduated in 1980, Utah University has your records although they may not have been made electronic yet.

  • If you attended Utah State University prior to 1980 you can obtain an Official Transcript in person or by mail.
  • Please Click Here to verify if we have an A-number established for you. You will be directed to the page that will instruct you how to acquire your A-number.
  • If you were directed here by another page, please make your request in person or by mail. In most instances your original signature is required. We have created many forms Click Here to assist in acquiring your records.

If you are leaving the University but have specific plans to return, you should file for a Leave of Absence on the USU website. This allows your matriculation to remain open. You will not have to reapply to the University if you return according to your stated plans.

Click here to lookup your A-Number.

A student desiring a “Pass,” instead of a regular grade in course, must request a pass/fail form from the Registrar’s Office. This form must be signed by the student’s advisor and returned to the Registrar’s Office by 60% of the session. Once submitted, it cannot be reversed.

When you were admitted to USU, you were assigned an A# and password. If you do not know your A number, Click Here, and you will be directed to the page that will instruct you how to acquire your A#. To find your initial password, you will need to go to There, you will be prompted to enter in your A#, and then to set up security questions to aid you in the retrieval of your password should you forget it. Every 180 days the system will prompt you to change this password. Your password must be 8 to 16 characters long, must start with an alpha character (a-z or A-Z), have at least three non-alpha, and may contain Numbers, Letters, and other Special Characters(No spaces please).

Online Availability: 24 hours a day / 7 Days a week
In Person Availability: M−F, 8−5. (Excluding holidays)

See Dates & Deadlines for exact dates. Fees will be refunded only according to the Refund Policy.

Students may add classes for credit or audit through 20% of the session. An instructor’s signature is required to add courses beginning the second week of the semester. All requests for audit registration must be approved by the instructor and must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar (TSC 246). See Dates & Deadlines for exact dates.

This is not an error. The course you are trying to register for requires the listed pre-requisite in the parenthesis. However, if a course does appear in parenthesis it may be taken concurrently with the course which requires this as a pre-requisite. You must register for both simultaneously via ACCESS or you will encounter the same problems. If you require further assistance, please visit with you advisor then with the Registrar’s Office TSC 246.

Most forms issued by the Registrar’s Office are available online at: You may also pick them up at the Registrar’s Office (TSC 246).

Students may register online at or by calling 1-800-233-2137.

Your advisor is listed on the Student Profile. You can also view advisors by major and college on this site:

The primary reasons are: 1) You have a hold which restricts you from registering (i.e. student owes money, or need to see your advisor), 2) Registration is not available due to a computer problem or the registration dates have passed, 3) The course you are trying to register for has a restriction or prerequisite which the system does not acknowledge you have met, or 4) the class is full or the system does not recognize that you have met the course requirement(s). This problem is likely to happen to Transfer or Graduate Students. If the class is full, then the instructor's signature is needed on an Add/Drop form. If a course requirement has not been met, then the Department Advisor over the course needs to sign a Course Authorization Form. This form must be submitted to the Registrar's Office located in TSC 246. Call the Registrar's Office if you have questions at 797-1116.

You may report it either to the department head over the course or to the Student Advocate at 797-1720.