Registration for Swaner Preserve and EcoCenter’s…
An art exhibit by USU MFA student Gabe Anderson.
With farm and ranch land dwindling due to population…
This exhibits showcases works of art that share a…
FERPA for Faculty and Staff
All university employees who have access to student records are required to have FERPA training. You may do this by participating in the online FERPA tutorial. You may also schedule a workshop for your office or unit by e-mailing Bill Jensen.
FERPA Tutorial for Faculty and Staff
Please click on the links below to take the online FERPA Tutorial. This is an audio presentation, so please plug in your headphones or turn on your speakers. To record your participation, follow the instructions at the end of the tutorial.
FERPA Tutorial w/ Audio (flash)
FERPA Tutorial w/ Audio (flash) (alternate link)
This law, commonly referred to as FERPA or the Buckley Amendment, (1) provides that students will have access to inspect and review their educational records and (2) protects the rights of a student to privacy by limiting access to the educational record without express written consent.
A student is defined as any individual who is attending or has attended Utah State University. (Note: Certain rights are extended to the parent(s) of a dependent student, where dependency is defined by Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954.)
An educational record is any record (1) directly related to a student, and (2) maintained by Utah State University or by an agent of the University.
With respect to a student's educational records, FERPA affords a student the right:
- To inspect and review the student's educational records;
- To request the amendment of the student's educational records to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student's privacy or other rights;
- To consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's educational records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent;
- If a complaint cannot be resolved within the University, to file with the U.S. Department of Education a complaint concerning alleged failures by Utah State University to comply with the requirements of FERPA;
- The Student Records Policy and Procedures for Utah State University is available in the General Catalog.