Risk Management Services
August 16, 2016 to December 10, 2016. Opening Reception…
Sage Perrot Printmaking Exhibit
Come support our Aggies at the Eccles Ice Center!
Teton Gravity Research (TGR) "Tight Loose" -…
Basis for the Tony Award winning musical "Hello,…
|International Travel Insurance Application|
|International SOS Member Login|
|International SOS Emergency Record|
With the well being of international travelers as a top priority, Utah State University has contracted with International SOS to provide travel assistance services for the university community traveling abroad on university business or sponsored activities. International SOS provides security and medical evacuation services, and a variety of online health, safety, and security resources.
You do not need to enroll; coverage is immediately available to all faculty, staff, students, and family members traveling with you. While abroad, if an emergency arises, the Philadelphia Center (1-800-523-6586 or 1-215-942-8226) is your primary contact, but any of the 24/7 International SOS Assistance Centers can assist you immediately during an emergency and will notify USU of your situation.
Membership cards should be carried at all times when traveling. To obtain a membership card, either login to the Utah State University International SOS portal below and print a copy, or contact the Office of Risk Management at (435) 797-1844. Information about how to use International SOS can be found in the FAQ's document.
We encourage you to review the list of program services provided by International SOS. Please be aware that some of International SOS's services carry additional charges. If you request a service which has an additional charge, International SOS will inform you in advance and will require a credit card number in order to activate the service.
In order to recover the costs for this program, a fee schedule has been set by the University Provost. The fee schedule is as follows:
Student Spouse/Dependent Travel:
Faculty and Staff Travel:
Faculty and Staff Spouse/Dependent Travel:
For travelers using a Travel Authorization, the appropriate fee should be added to the TA. All other travelers should make a payment by check directly to USU Risk Management.
Spouse and Dependent Coverage
Spouses and Dependents are eligible for coverage during your trip. Coverage can be purchased through the Risk Management Office. Simply complete the Dependent form and send it along with payment to the Risk Management office at UMC 6600. Check Only.
International SOS is NOT health insurance. Utah State University has contracted with a private company to provide all international travelers with Medical Insurance.
|Service Broker||ACE USA|
|Emergency Travel Assistance Co.||INTERNATIONAL SOS|
|Benefit Paid out on the following:||Pays 1st dollar to provider|
|Pre-Existing Conditions||Emergency Care Only. Routine care excluded|
|Oupatient Mental Illness||80% up to a Max of $500|
|Inpatient Mental Illness||80% up to a Max of $10,000|
|Emergency Dental Treatment||$250 per tooth to a Max of $500|
|Home Country Extension||up to $2,500 for a maximum period of 30 days|
|Interscholastic Sports||excludes professional and semi professional sports only|
|Alcohol and Drug Abuse||N/A|
|Trip Interruption - Return Ticket||$1,500|
Some Exclusions Apply – Click on the following link to review the Description of Benefits.
International SOS will assist you in obtaining the best medical care available locally or, if necessary, make arrangements for you to return home to receive appropriate medical attention. In most instances, medical expenses incurred abroad will have to be paid out of pocket and reimbursement sought later from the insurance carrier. If you are unable to arrange for payment of medical expenses at the time of service, SOS may contact ACE or Utah State University to guarantee payment of costs associated with your care. Any expenses not covered by ACE paid by the university on your behalf must be reimbursed and will be billed to you at a later date.
Some countries may be excluded from the program. They change from time to time and you should check with SOS if you have any questions. Presently, Central African Republic, Chechnya, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Ukraine, Yemen, Algeria, Burkina Faso, Chad, Guinea, India (Jammu and Kashmir only), Ivory Coast, Lebanon, Mali, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sudan, Thailand (Narathiwat, Pattani, Songkhla, and Yala Provinces only) are excluded. These exclusions were updated July 2016. If you need to visit an excluded country, please consult with the University Risk Manager about your options.
Resources and Links
- International SOS FAQ's
- State Department Travel Advisories
- World Health Organization International Travel Information
- Center for Disease Control Travelers Health
Questions? Please contact the Office of Risk Management at (435) 797-1844.
The following is intended to be used as a check-list for group travel planning and management. List items should be considered but may not be applicable. Forms are available through Risk Management Services.
Preliminary Planning and Actions
- Trip itinerary has been fully identified.
- Availability of all transportation required (common carriers and chartered) has been verified.
- Emergency alternative carriers and providers have been identified.
- Availability of all required lodging and other planned service providers has been verified.
- American Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements have been met as applicable.
- Lodging and transportation arrangements conform to acceptable safety standards and verified by knowledgeable person(s).
- Contracts (or terms) of carriers and providers have been approved and secured.
- Most recent State Department Consular Information Sheets, Public Announcements and Travel Warnings have been reviewed.
- The need for Emergency Medical Evacuation insurance has been evaluated.
- All necessary visas have been identified and preparations made to obtain them.
- Deviations in final plans from advance brochures and advertisements have been identified.
Participants have been informed of:
- Complete itinerary and anticipated costs.
- All changes from advance brochures and advertisements.
- Possibilities for and consequences of trip cancellation or interruption.
- Health concerns per CDC information releases.
- Immunizations required and recommended.
- State Department's Consular Information concerning each destination and intended routes:
- Entry requirements
- Crime and security
- State Department's Consular Information concerning each destination and intended routes for: a) Currency regulations; b) Political stability; c) Other significant risks disclosed
- Currency exchange rates (recent).
- General health, safety and security tips.
- Cultural differences and health and safety tips specific to itinerary locations including food and drinking water warnings.
- Names, address and telephone numbers of contact persons in countries on itinerary at Utah State University.
- Address and phone number of U.S. Embassies for countries on itinerary.
- Insurance coverage required or recommended (medical, evacuation, trip interruption, baggage loss, etc.)
- University's limited responsibilities and restricted liability.
- Need for International Drivers License if participant's driving is planned.
- Instructions for what to do if separated from group.
The following information has been obtained from each participant as applicable:
- Names of relatives or other persons to contact in case of an emergency.
- Medical Insurance policy number and carrier name and address.
- Signed Release of Liability and Parental Consent forms (if a minor).
- A copy of the Certification of immunizations.
- Copies of all required passports and visas .
- Any medical conditions, allergies, medications, etc. that may need special attention in an emergency and instructions.
The following arrangements are in place:
- 24-hour primary and backup campus contacts for each trip.
- Names and addresses of contact persons for each planned destination on the itinerary .
- Plans for interim communicative contact(s) when the duration of the trip or the itinerary warrants updates.
- Agreement on criteria that may warrant termination of the trip.