Excerpts from the Diary of Theodore W. Daniel, Emeritus Professor of Forestry, Utah State University

June 30, 1944. William's thrill of the trip occurred at the U.P. wood treating plant for ties mostly where he saw and sat in the smallest locomotive that he had ever seen. Pleased Dean Turner on getting into town after we had made a turn around the campus to look it over. It is really a lovely place and the School of Forestry is in a big but old building.

July 5, 1944. Jim Stewart, Supervisor of Cache National Forest picked me up at Turners'; I had met him, Olsen, Favre, Regional Head of Grazing at Kiwanis. We went into Logan Canyon and I saw quite a bit of the grazing areas. Large areas were covered with Wyethea, and there were some reseeding plots and areas that were interesting. Visited the summer camp and Forest Service Nursery at Tony Flat then back to town.

July 6, 1944. Drove up the Logan Canyon to the turn off for Blacksmith Forks. Dr. Rasmussen came with a trailer for horse. Loaded a horse that was waiting for us then drove almost to Blacksmith Fork Ranger Station where a guard was waiting with a string of horses and saddles. The supervisor loaned me a spur and got me a good horse. We rode through Pig Hole, Hog Hole, Bear Hole into Cottonwood Creek area. The trip was to look over the damage by deer and elk to their winter range. I saw some damage but it wasn't serious.

August 15, 1944. There is really quite a good supply of dendrological material on hand so my predecessor McLaughlin did a very nice job of collecting. But I have no pressing need to write madly for specimens. I was in the midst of getting the material organized when George Kelker asked me to help with the inventory of the forestry property. It took us all the rest of the day. It was a dirty job and we didn't locate quite a few items but the valuable things were all present. The amount of equipment the school has is smaller than meets the eye at first glance. There are no laboratory instruments of significance other than microscopes though there are quite a few good ones in those. Summer camp is pretty well supplied but it isn't first rate equipment . . . Worked on assembling the mess of dendrology material the Home Economics people forced into a closet when they moved into the building.

September 5, 1944. The new Forest Service check list arrived in the mail and it is a marked departure from the old ones. The International Code has been accepted which causes quite a few changes in names. As the authority for many years to come, it is an excellent piece of work.

September 11, 1944. Up at 6:00 and on my way to Paris [Idaho]. It wasn't quite full daylight when I traveled up the canyon. The canyon is lovely with reds and yellows in varying patterns. Bear Lake is quite a large body of water and the buildings show how old the settlements are. Log barns are still in use and some of them are sturdy looking yet. Arrived in Paris before 9:00 and the Ranger wasn't quite ready. He showed me a map of the plots that Baker had made and a memo giving the system of marking. We drove 20 miles to the plots, the last few miles over very dusty roads. The plots were high on a slope. I was disappointed because the bugs have killed quite a patch of trees in two plots. One was supposed to be the check plot but if I continue the study the undamaged plot will have to be the check and the others will need to be reworked for cutting. The Ranger rode off to locate some sheep bands, so I drove around to a logging operation in the next canyon. I really had to wade through dust. If I didn't walk in the skid marks of the logs the dust would be 6" deep. Watched and helped the Forest Service guard to mark trees for cutting, then gathered quantities of dendrological material for the species being cut--Engelman spruce, Douglas-fir, Alpine fir, and Lodgepole pines.

September 18, 1944. A group met to discuss the new Clark McNary fire set-up in the Dean's office. I was in work clothes but I sat in on it. There were representatives from the various services--Grazing, Forest Service, Experiment Station, Clark McNary inspector and a couple of others. It was interesting to have the state analyzed for ability to meet the necessary standards.

November 18, 1944. It was really cold this morning and the ground was frozen into a rigid mass that couldn't be worked. Bob and a few boys showed up at eight, so we decided to set up a pile of Lombardy poplar suckers into cuttings for spring planting. We needed over 5,000 cuttings so Bob and I went out to get some more sprouts. We were not very successful for awhile and then we located a few trees with a heavy crop of young ones. We made two trips and have a great many more than we had set as a minimum. After lunch the ground was a sticky mess of mud about 2 inches deep and made big balls on your feet as you walked.


July 2, 1945. After lunch I learned that I was to accompany Dean Dunn on his survey of the state, gathering data on the forests and land use by counties. I was to do the work Floyd wanted and then help the dean. A very interesting schedule was worked out, so I'll see all the best spots in the southern part of the state.

July 10, 1945. Downstairs at 8:30 to meet the Dunns and went to breakfast. Up to Forest Service Super. Headquarters for Uinta National Forest and Superintendent Taylor devoted the whole morning to answering questions on the counties that fell in his forest boundaries. It was quite interesting and I got notes and answers to my other questions. After lunch with Dean and Mrs. I visited the county courthouse for a talk with the Assessor and Sheriff on public attitude toward burning permits and public acquisition of lands. Few people use permits primarily because they are not informed it seems. No great objection to them however. Feeling seems to be federal government owns enough land and people wouldn't care to see it expanded nor contracted either.

July 11, 1945. Up and on way down the state early so as to be in Nephi shortly after 9:00. I interviewed the assessor while Dean saw the sheriff. The answers were variations of the same story but more appreciative of Grazing Service for roads and wells.

July 12, 1945. I asked about the Status sheets and they gave me a map with the alienated land marked on it but it was difficult to be sure of the areas, so I took my material direct from the land descriptions and could calculate the area even if my drawings were not too accurate. It was slow work and I was less than half through with the Dixie at 6:00 and still have the Powell to do.

July 13, 1945. Found quite a number of errors in the descriptions of the areas so the clerk brought me the actual status book. It helped a lot and by using it as a check against the map and the notes . . . I had to finish the Dixie today or we would be here next week so I worked until 8:30 p.m. and finished it up. I have the Powell National Forest to do and I'm afraid it isn't going to be too satisfactory as the clerk can't find either the map or the status book. Supervisor Albertson had a colored movie put out by the Forest Service that he was testing so I took time to look at it. It was the rawest kind of regulation propaganda with special emphasis on Federal Regulation where the states don't do the job. There is no doubt that regulation is going to come but it doesn't make the private operator feel any better to know that the Forest Service will probably be doing it.

July 17, 1945. [Panguitch] to the Soil Conservation Service office to spend the morning talking farm forestry in Utah and Colorado with Felker who has charge of the work in Utah. Quite a bit of farm forestry is being developed and Felker has only been in the state less than a year. Visited the county courthouse and had quite a time listening to the beating the treasurer gave to the Forest Service and the Grazing Service and then jumped with both feet on the Park Service. The Kiabab should be carrying at least 10,000 head of cows and grass is being wasted that stands as high as the horse's belly.


[The first meeting of the Society of American Foresters after World War II was held in Salt Lake City at the Hotel Utah].

September 11, 1946. Registered at the meeting and paid for banquet and trip. Division of Silviculture meetings began at 10:00 so there wasn't much time to visit. We listened to papers and reports all day. Pearson (of S.W.) provoked some heat by writing off the research work done in the past as of no importance and by claiming his findings in the S.W. Ponderosa were the last word in spite of the fact that data from other regions disagreed . . . Baker gave a very pointed paper at the evening session on the need for more integration and less detail in present day research and he always puts his ideas across humorously so everyone enjoyed his criticism.

September 12, 1946. The papers were interesting so everyone had an enjoyable time. After lunch it was a business meeting of the society and a few points came up for some argument, especially the disparity between the cost of the Journal and News. Most felt the News cost too much for its value relative to the Journal. I spent a good share of my time meeting people and talking to old acquaintances. President Green of Colorado State did a fair speech but Granger of the Washington office did a very good job of indicating opportunities in forestry.

September 13, 1946. Everyone was up early and had breakfast as the field trip was to begin at 8:30. The transportation was supplied by the Forest Service--trucks with benches covered with blankets. There were 11 trucks holding 15+ and 20+ cars of caravan. We were escorted out and back by police. We had President Allen in our truck for most of the trip and then he traded places with Dean Dunn. He was a jovial fellow and full of jokes. A total of about 150 were on the trip. We made the trip through the Davis County Experimental Watershed Area where such disastrous floods had occurred from 1923-1933. The trip was beautifully organized, interestingly described, and highlighted by a spectacular demonstration of the new fire fighting technique of smoke jumpers. The lunch was also delivered by air and arrived in excellent shape . . . The comment of Clepper, Secretary of the Society of American Foresters, Washington, D.C. was that it was the best field trip ever taken by the Society at any of its meetings. It made the local group feel good as the word was passed around.


March 2, 1947. Began conserving my Russian Olives in case my seed isn't good so we take all our trees from the older age class--filling the Naval Ammunition Depot order called for 4,000 Russian Olives . . . The Boy Scouts are holding a Pow-Wow again and I notice that none signed for Forestry. Our demand that they meet the full requirements of the merit badge was too much for the average Utah Scout who seems accustomed to doing little more than paying a bowing respect to requirements.

March 11, 1947. The boys were back from the fire, arriving yesterday . . . It had been quite an experience. The boys had been placed on the hot front two nights in a row and had corralled the fire only to have it get away from the Mexicans during the day. It was 7,000 acres when they finished their first nights work and then it burst across a river and road to blaze up a steep slope with a strong wind behind it, crowning as it climbed through Jeffrey Pine. They headed it again but it broke loose and when they left it was 26,000 acres and still going strong.


January 8, 1948. Art Smith reported on the S.A.F. meeting in Minn. Considerable discussion revolved around the eligibility of Junior membership, who should be elected, only dyed-in-the-wool foresters or wildland managers of any form.

January 21, 1948. Had a letter from Baker and he thought my idea for a national exam a good one but that it wouldn't meet with much approval from the older silviculturists, who feel it an attempt of the younger ones to measure their efficiency. [Despite Ted Daniel's efforts during the year, the national exam idea was never approved].

January 30, 1948. [The first Annual Banquet of the American Society of Range Management was held January 30, 1948 at the Hotel Newhouse in Salt Lake City].

January 31, 1948. The meeting was devoted to discussing organization, officers, committee reports, etc. It was interesting to be in at the birth of a new group that will be a very important force in land conservation in years to come. Some individuals wanted to keep the membership to technically trained men but it was voted to give it a broad base as to include any practicing rancher interested in Range Management. The name came up for discussion and some wanted "grassland" in the title but the majority, almost everyone, preferred "Range Management." I got tired of the bickering so I moved "The Journal of Range Management."

March 22, 1948. Took another group of GI farmers out to the nursery and told of the trees. They mentioned the price of lumber in Tremonton and I advised buying their own logs and having them custom sawed.

June 9, 1948. [At summer camp] I checked each crew and its procedure and for the first time some of the boys thanked me for my assistance.

June 30, 1948. Whit Floyd read a speech given by Mulford at the Minnesota Society meeting in which he propounded his idea of the course education should take in the forestry schools. He has come to believe that there should be professional and nonprofessional instruction. To his questions my responses were the same as his and so I got kidded on my being a sliver from the parent stump.

September 13 to September 30, 1948. [Ted and Ione drove through the United States, especially visiting the South, collecting samples for dendrology. Much interest in hardwoods].

December 16-18, 1948. Society of American Foresters met in Boston. Ted Daniel was elected Secretary of the Section on Silviculture.


November 9, 1950. [A meeting in SLC at Newhouse Hotel]. Koziol gave a good analysis of the recreation problem and he was followed by Ranger Ken Maughan who is the honor ranger of the year and goes to Washington, D.C. on regional expense, on success of the National Forest experiment on collecting for fees for camping at certain campgrounds--not too successful in 2 years tried.

December 14, 1950. Society of American Foresters' meeting, Washington, D.C. Clepper called a special meeting of Division officers at a breakfast . . . The Council was interested in our opinions as to what should be done about divisions--so many were being requested. A council committee in place of recommending fewer came back with a recommendation for the formation of two in areas not covered by present divisions. Baker got up and blasted the idea of divisions--he had voted against them when he was a council member. I got up as I said as an antidote for Baker from the Silvicultural Division and mentioned that it was the formation of the Divisions which had stimulated attendance at the meetings . . . Many agreed with me. Went down Constitution Avenue and saw Dr. Gordon Bowles, International Exchange of Persons. He is executive secretary and he gave me a few minutes while I explained my interest in research in Austria . . . I have a good chance of being chosen for a Fulbright Fellowship.

December 15, 1950. The division meetings went off very well. Clepper told me that I'd have to clear the room by 4:00 which would have meant a serious contraction of papers. Then at the last minute it was decided to let us go the distance but not a minute longer. The joint meeting with Forest Economics went off quite smoothly and stimulated a lot of interest. When the meeting started I introduced Mr. Marquis and he introduced the speakers. In the afternoon we had a little late start . . . [In the business meeting] Introduced Baker as the new chairman and he introduced his new officers. My job was over. [At the banquet] Sat with Baker, Lewis and some friends. Favors were some neat cigarette boxes made of about half dozen different woods--no two boxes alike. The program was excellent. Tom Gill gave an illustrated lecture in which some big names in forestry were shown in conventional or rough surroundings in their early life. Dance after supper.


August 29, 1960. [An International Congress in Seattle. Ted Daniel and Whit Floyd took turns driving to get there and arrived the day before]. The formal welcome was in the afternoon with a welcome by the President of the University, Mayor, and Governor. Secretary of Agriculture [Ezra Taft] Benson represented the President of the U.S.A. and gave a short address. Then the stamps of U.S. and U.N. were displayed. I didn't stay for the adoption of the rules by which the Congress would be organized . . . [In evening] the local committee had arranged a reception for the whole group at the Olympic Hotel.

August 30, 1960. Up to campus to eat then to first general session where McArdle introduced multiple use as the keynote talk of the Congress. It was responded to by India, Russia, France and Venezuela. The Russian paper missed the point and their interpreter wasn't very good. I used the ear phones for the French paper and again the running interpretation was weak . . . The Spanish was much better. In the afternoon more on the theme as it affected Federal and private lands. Visited some of the exhibits.

August 31, 1960. The last general session on the role of forestry in world economics was fairly interesting as several good ideas were expressed. At noon I checked all the papers that I wanted and handed the list to the document section. They will have them ready tomorrow . . . Whit Floyd is invited to the reception tonight by the President of the U. of Washington. Only school heads, foreign delegates, U.S. brass were invited. The Congress is just too big to handle as a whole very often . . . I wasn't too interested in inventory work so I took the session on Weather and Climate in Forest Protection. There were a lot of good silvicultural ideas developed and I was glad that I had sat in on it.

September 1, 1960. I went to the Forest Economics meeting where they were discussing the conversion of old growth timber. It was interesting especially to hear Mason describe his experience with the development of forestry in the NW. His life spans the whole era of forestry from Schenks' first arrival in 1896? to date. A Frenchman described conversion of coppice to high forest so when there was a moment for questions at the end of all the prepared papers I asked why they would convert when they needed pulpwood since coppice produces more cellulose than high forest. The answer missed the point because they only use conifers for pulp apparently but he gave a long answer anyway. Everyone went on field trips in afternoon and Whit and I made the rounds of the exhibits. I took pictures of our exhibit which Whit had located and some of the machinery especially the mobile 90' spar tree on a truck . . . Whit suddenly remembered that he and Virginia had a date for a big dinner with Thad Box's group. The group was ending its tour and Whit was to give out certificates.

September 2, 1960. Went to hear the sections on Genetics . . . The other papers were mostly dealing with ease of moving breeding stock across national boundaries and certifying seed. Had lunch with the Sudanese . . . Heard Tropical Forestry and it had some good points for our silviculture too and I got a better idea of their problems . . . Met Benson, a Liberian forestry professor and we talked under the stars. I looked up and by accident saw the satellite of Echo I moving through the sky. He was happy to see it. He invited me to an African reception.

September 3, 1960. There was the ceremony of Planting the International Grove. It was beautifully organized with a Boy Scout carrying the countries' flag, a Girl Scout carrying the shovel and the Chief Delegate walking in between. The ceremony was understandably long because every word had to be said three times. The afternoon meeting was on arid land.

September 4, 1960. Bitterlick wanted to know about the identification of our western species. We wandered around the campus until we found most of the common western species. We found a couple of relics of the Alaska-Yukon exhibition of 1908 behind Anderson Hall. One was a single stick of timber 18" by 18" x 156 2' sawed the same year. The other was a perfectly smooth and square timber 4 2' x 4 2' x 75'+ that had been hand hewn.

September 5, 1960. I ate breakfast with Hans Leibundgut's son. We talked of his plans to make a dictionary of forestry terms. I mentioned the little dictionary the U.S. Forest Service had issued in the late >30s but he had never seen it. Gordon Watts was sitting next to me and I wondered if he knew the name of the author. I remembered it as Roesner. He knew the book and had one which he never used. He offered it to me for Leibundgut and Leibundgut was happy to get it. I had an old Sudworth of the Pacific Slope Trees for Leibundgut that I had been saving for him. I brought it to him as well as R. R. Reynolds paper on unevenaged Loblolly and Shortleaf. A day of papers and most of them interesting. The resolution in silviculture got out of hand. [There would be a Special Session on Wednesday, but Ted Daniel left for Utah on September 6].

November 14, 1960. Society of American Foresters' meetings in Washington, D.C. Heard Dana's talk on needs of training in forestry. Had the Utah State alumni get together and 17 men showed.

November 15, 1960. Sat through a day of listening to silvicultural papers and asked a number of questions. They were not strong contributions for most part but Earl Hodgkins had a good paper that I can use in Utah. Walked to the Cal alumni supper.

November 16, 1960. I took a cab to the Agricultural South for a visit to the Forest Service offices . . . Stopped to say a few words to Harper, head of research and he mentioned there was a chance of building a research unit at Logan for the Region. Taxi back to hotel and attended the Forest Management meeting. One paper was on stand structure and not too well put together. Went to Watershed and there were some good reports. To SAF dinner in evening.


October 8, 1970. Drove into Flagstaff [Arizona] . . . Saw Gil Schubert who was working up data so I went to airport to pick up Ralph Lorenz of Ill. [Later] Gil and I drove out to pick up Helms, Merritt, Fischer, Thurgood. Wagel will come tonight. Had supper at 5:30 then to a Forestry Club meeting where $3,750 in scholarships were given out. Four were for $500. We had a meeting of the group and Gil outlined our two days of field trips.

October 9, 1970. Don Womack provided the identification of the many species that we ran into. I bought a can of sterno so we could burn off the bristles on prickly pears. We went down Oak Creek canyon. U.S.F.S. #9 was quite rough for a number of miles. Visited two thinning areas--one excellent silviculture and the other modified for aesthetic reasons. The second had a point but it was overdone as the same effect could have been had with a 20' strip as with 100'. Gil gave his data on his regeneration studies and we drove back to Flagstaff. We had supper. Met in library of Forest Service. Raised the question of what should Baker's book cover and Smith's too. Half of those teaching were having to reduce their offerings to one course beyond Forest Ecology. I said that they were shortchanging the foresters. The discussion was kept to what should be in a book that covered principles instead of practices.

October 10, 1970. A sedan and Wagle's car gave room for the group. We stopped at various points along the way to Snow Basin--everyone was interested in Corkbark fir, Bristlecone pine, etc. After lunch we went down to look at some of Schubert's plots--he had a thinning study done entirely different than any other I have seen . . . We visited Pearson's Improvement Selection marking in the 160 acre Virgin stand and then some of Schubert's cuttings . . . The group decided on a project for the next year--to come up with the principles that should be covered in a program of silviculture--silvics, silvic practices and regional. Wagle suggested chapters written by specialists and John and I acting as editors and contributors.

October 11, 1970. [Arrived in Las Vegas for SAF meetings. Stayed at Sahara].

October 12, 1970. The morning was highlighted by a keynote talk by F.E. Smith that presented facts in a new focus . . . In the afternoon we had G. DeBell give the political activity of the Earth People. He made everyone think and most of us agreed with a lot of what he said--he was primarily against the fetish of business, continuous growth and its consequences. N. B. Livermore tried to counter DeBell's book--Environmental Handbook--and in the process he took a blast at educators . . . In the question period, I said "You seem to imply that politicians should be better paid than educators."

October 13, 1970. Went to the morning meeting which began with the pros and cons of adopting the metric system in forestry. More talk on the environment . . . At the Cal supper in evening there were 60 men and wives and Zivnuska told of the spring events after the invasion of Cambodia where forestry students took a leading role in the protest--prevented radicals from destructive action, maintained classes and in general acted like responsible but disturbed citizens.

October 14, 1970. [The USU breakfast] had 32 . . . All but one had graduated or got a second degree since I got to Logan . . . Larry Davis described changes and gave a short talk on some of the trends and sat on the tendency to increase culture at the expense of professional training. I attended the Forest Management session and it had papers on the problems the Forest Service faced in meeting the objections of the public to its management. I was amazed at their handling of the Monongahela National Forest where clearcuts were begun in 1964 and they had one up to 500 acres. It is hardly believable. Slash burning smoke control is a new must in the NW. Joel Frykman was apparently for harvesting timber regardless but the approach has to change in S. Fork of Salmon River. Apparently this is the last year of subject matter divisions and I moved that council postpone the decision until next year. There were some good talks on silviculture. McCloskey of Sierra Club was much more moderate but had a lot of errors . . . Tocher gave a stimulating talk on the various needs of different classes of people and the resulting changes in cutting practices.

October 15, 1970. Went to the Forest Soil meeting. Three of the four papers were about soil classification to aid in various decisions but Steinbrener of Weyerhaeuser had slides and a tape to describe what the company and he were actually accomplishing. In 8 years, 3/4 of the area involved was done, a total of three million acres . . . It permits prediction of what he called economic potential classification.


October 5, 1980. [In Spokane, stayed at Sheraton Hotel]. It is built on land next to the 1974 World's Fair. SAF convention is cared for at the Opera House and Exhibition Center built for the Fair. A large number of silviculturists are here to gather at Priest River Experimental Forest.

October 7, 1980. The [USU] alumni had gathered where I asked and at 7:30 we migrated to an empty exhibition area. Box came too. We had 20 to 25 show up at the Cal Alumni luncheon at noon. Then I went to the silviculture group session.

October 8, 1980. Went to luncheon. Professor Fritz received the Wm. Schilch Memorial Award. The program lasted until 3:20. I won the centerpiece--of cones . . . We loaded into 4 vans for the ride to Priest River Experimental Forest.

October 9, 1980. Fred Johnson led the parade and it was a parade as we had 6 vans, pickups and cars. It was a demonstration of habitat types. We were on the north slope most of the time and it was chilly. There were some contrasts of regeneration on north and south facing slopes, using clearcutting and planting, seed trees, group cuttings. We ate at the top of the ridge with a huge block of state lands to the east--Forest Service and State exchanged sections to block up the Secs. 16 & 36 of many townships from 1911-1926. Drove to the fire tower on top of Gisborne Peak where I took the picture of the group.

October 10, 1980. We toured another section of the Experimental Forest. Russ Graham described poor contract compliance on several operations. One had huge pile of slash along road against the trees and he planned to burn it in place. He lost an acre of timber doing a less dangerous area. No supervision of the contractors and no critical review of Graham's work . . . We ate lunch; looked at Rehfelds' provenances and F. studies at the nursery. Saw the P. P. provenance plantation set out in 1911, where only the reasonably local strains did fairly well.


July 26, 1990. [SAF meetings to be at State College, Pennsylvania. Arrived at end of day].

July 27, 1990. [Field trip]. Loaded the vans for drive to Parker Dam State Park to see the tremendous damage of a super tornado, May 1985, destroying a swath 2 to 1 2 mile wide . . . We drove to the Allegheny National Forest on the Allegheny Plateau to see the practices for handling the hardwood type. The effort was to get black cherry reproduction with a mixture of species. The Forest Service personnel explained their efforts and plans including the following where a trail for hikers would be built. We had lunch at the NE Forest Experimental Station at the experimental forest. Then we drove to see the practices on private lands by International Paper Co.'s foresters. Roundup killed the ground vegetation and wild trees. Black cherry germinated, then the overstory was removed. The company fences their clearcuts using an electric fence. Deer destroy reproduction on small areas so clearcuts are 40-135 acres. Peeler logs of black cherry sell for $2,000/M.

July 28, 1990. Drove to Game Commission land in Centre Co. where Paul Confer of the North Central Division was the forester and talked about how the Game Comm. Lands were managed to favor game over 1 MM acres in the state . . . We drove to look at how the habitat was being improved for grouse . . . To Fulton Co. where the District Manager of Glatfelter Pulpwood Co. showed us the results of his management in the oak type. He had left 50% of the best trees for seed trees--sprayed to remove competition where reproduction wasn't present, removed it when reproduction was established . . . Yellow poplar the major competition.

July 29, 1990. Had another guided tour in the oak type by Bureau of Forestry personnel . . . N. red oak were coming above the ferns after 3 weeks . . . Later, returned to State College, to the Sheraton, for SAF meetings.

July 30, 1990. M. R. Deland, Chair of Environmental Quality, read a letter from President George Bush and then his speech on protecting environment and species with a sop to foresters that actions shouldn't create economic problems. The Awards luncheon was overflowing . . . The afternoon session tried to answer the theme of the convention "Are Forests the Answer." . . . J. Kathy Parker was definite that the answer was "No." Jan G. Laarman had examples that could be interpreted as "maybe." . . . At 7:00 I went to hear Joe Chapman speak to the USU alumni. Mary Lu Roskelley gave me caps with the Natural Resources logo for each forester. 31 had signed up but not all made it.

July 31, 1990. At 11:30 the silviculture group met again with papers on environmental impacts, global trends, regional trends in "Deforestation, reforestation and afforestation," then carbon budgets of alternative silviculture strategies. A lot of work went into the papers and indicated that huge increases in forest area would have only a small impact on CO2 reduction in atmosphere. Only reducing fossil fuel would really help. The business meeting was on 1991 program.

August 1, 1990. I spent the morning in the D-2 Session. It covered new perspectives, endangered species, urban-rural interfaces, changing climate, air pollution and stress.

Editor's note:
On August 20, 1996 Ted Daniel's peers, associates, students, and former students honored "Doc" Daniel by dedicating the 2,560 acre University Forest as the "T.W. Daniel Experimental Forest."  Doc has touched the lives of many foresters over the years and has been a strong influence on the professional careers of many, particulary silviculturists.

Pictured here at the dedication ceremonies are Doc Daniel and his former wife and long-time companion Ione Bennion.


April 1, 2000. College of Natural Resources Awards banquet with a booklet issued of 16 pages. College of Natural Resources gave out Quinney awards to 10 students, Alumni awards to 2. Many more for all departments: Fish and Wildlife, Forest Resources, Geography and Earth Resources, and Rangeland Resources.

May 6, 2000. The 107th commencement of Utah State University. College of Natural Resources had 76 graduates who received bachelors' degrees, 15 masters, and 12 doctorates. Many more women students in the college than there used to be.

August 21, 2000. We were in Logan Canyon this afternoon. The air was like a veil over the face of the mountains because of so many forest fires. A very hot summer. Montana has many more fires than Utah and was declared a disaster area. We have bought our airline tickets to attend the SAF meetings in Washington, DC November 15. I will turn 93 years old on November 16. The silviculture field trip will precede the meetings.

Theodore W. Daniel, 96, died on Friday, July 30, 2004, in Logan, Utah.

Herald Journal

Utah Forest News

The following is a link to USU's home page for the Daniel Experimental Foresthttp://www.cnr.usu.edu/departments/forest/twd/twd.htm, which includes information on current management plans for the forest.