The College of Science embraces the University's mission of teaching, research, and service as well as the mission of fostering the intellectual, personal, and cultural development of students in the context of science disciplines.
In teaching, the mission is to incorporate scientific inquiry into the critical thinking skills of all students in an effort to produce scientifically literate citizens, to provide students entering various professions with the necessary scientific foundation for the pursuit of these professions, and to produce broadly trained scholars of science with contemporary knowledge.
In research, the mission is to discover new scientific knowledge, develop new technologies, and to convey that knowledge for the benefit of all humankind.
In service, the mission is to deliver scientific knowledge and provide instruction beyond the University through Distance Education, Cooperative Extension Services, research collaborations, and outreach activities.
- Increase the quality of teaching at all levels throughout the College, including the development of high quality courses in various formats to enhance University Studies and Distance Education.
- Maintain and improve the quality of undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- Assist departments in developing and supporting selected research emphases where excellence will be achieved and enhanced.
- Increase the number of minorities and women at all levels within the College.
- Increase the level of financial support for students, faculty, and departments through selected development initiatives.
- Promote the
general public's understanding of science through outreach activities and
service to various constituencies, such as individual citizens, community
groups, and K-12 schools.