Parents Working on Behalf of Students
If your student is on a mission or in the military, or is otherwise unable to attend an on-campus session of SOAR, you may register your student for SOAR Online, which provides orientation information, a registration tutorial, and contact information for academic advisors. Please remember to mention your student's situation in the comments of the SOAR registration process so we know he or she is eligible for SOAR Online.
If your student will return in time to attend an on-campus session of SOAR, you may sign your student up for an on-campus session. Registration for on-campus sessions and SOAR Online can be completed through the SOAR registration page.
If Your Student Will Be Deferring Before Attending USU
We recommend that students wait until they are ready to begin at USU to complete SOAR, in order to receive the most up to date information on policies, graduation and major requirements, etc. We also recommend that your student set up a delegate BEFORE they leave. A delegate has permission to act on behalf of the student and will make the process of returning from deferrment much easier. Delegates can only be set up by the student, which is why it's best to complete before leaving. Information for setting up delegates can be found here: https://id.usu.edu/Securityphrase/Update/1/?
If Your Student Has Limited Internet Access
Students can complete SOAR Online in 30-45 minutes. As part of SOAR Online, he or she will email an academic advisor, who will then respond with suggested classes and information relevant to course registration. The student can then register for classes on or after his or her registration eligibility date, which is included with the SOAR Online information. Your student can modify this registration as much as needed through the first week of classes.
Steps if your student has limited internet access:
- Sign your student up for SOAR Online through the SOAR registration page. Be sure to mention your student's situation in the comment page.
- Tell your student that he or she will be receiving the link to SOAR Online via email (you will need to forward the link if you put your own email address on the SOAR registration form.)
- Ensure that your student was able to complete SOAR Online, communicate with his or her advisor, and register for classes.
- Remind your student to pick up a SOAR packet in Taggart Student Center room 212 at the beginning of the semester. It is not necessary to have the packet while completing SOAR Online, but the packet contains things the student will need on campus, such as a voucher for an ID card.
If Your Student Has No Internet Access
If your student cannot complete SOAR Online, you may complete it, speak with an advisor, and register your student for classes as long as you have filed a release form with USU so the advisor knows you have been given permission to access student information (see step one below).
As you complete SOAR Online, it will provide orientation information, give you the contact information for your student's advisor, and tell you how to register for classes using the Access system. Please share the information you learn with your student or have him or her go through SOAR Online individually upon return.
Steps if your student has no internet access:
- Complete the Parent Declaration of Student Dependency form if you still claim your student as a dependent on taxes, or Permission to Release Student Information form if you do not claim your student as a dependent on taxes.
- Sign your student up for SOAR Online through the SOAR registration page. Put your own email and mailing address on the SOAR registration, but mention your student's situation in the comment section.
- After receiving the email with the link to SOAR Online, go through SOAR Online and use the contact information provided to communicate with your student's academic advisor.
- When your student's eligibility date arrives, register for classes.
- Remember you or your student can change classes through the first week of classes by logging into the Access system.
- Tell your student to pick up the SOAR packet in Taggart Student Center room 212 at the beginning of the semester. It is not necessary to have the packet while completing SOAR Online, but the packet contains things the student will need on campus, such as a voucher for an ID card.