Leave of Absence & Deferment
DEFERMENT Preparing to Leave- Parent
If you have a new college student who has been admitted but wants to defer their admission to a future date please refer to the following checklist for their next steps.
FILE FOR DEFERMENT
Once your student knows the exact dates they will be leaving and returning, they should file for Deferment online at www.usu.edu/loa.
If your student will be returning sooner or later than originally submitted on their Deferment request, contact the Leave of Absence Department at (435) 797-1132 or firstname.lastname@example.org
RECEIVE PERMISSION FROM YOUR STUDENT
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 prohibits Utah State University from releasing certain personally identifiable information from a student’s record to a third party (e.g. parent, spouse, etc.) without the student’s explicit consent.
Ideally, your student will set a security phrase and identify you as a delegate so that you can have permission to help them during a leave. Designation as a student’s delegate will give you permission to make changes and act in your student’s behalf while they are on deferment.
Your student should go to http://id.usu.edu , choose the “Securityphrase” option, and assign you as their delegate.
NOTE FINANCIAL INFORMATION
- Defer Scholarships. Freshman and transfer students are automatically considered for USU scholarships when they apply for admission. If selected for a scholarship, your student will receive a letter of acceptance and will need to return the signed form to USU. If your student is awarded a scholarship and has submitted a deferment at www.usu.edu/loa, this scholarship will automatically be put on hold. If your student has been awarded Departmental or Private Endowment scholarships they will need to contact the department/donor directly to defer these specific scholarships.
- Plan Ahead for Financial Aid. The time your student should apply for financial aid is dependent upon when they will begin attending USU. The application for financial aid begins in January for the following academic year, and must be applied for each year. Therefore, if your student will begin school in August they should apply in January prior to starting school. The free online application can be found at https://fafsa.ed.gov . This application requires tax information but can serve as a great resource to help your student pay for college.
For more information about Financial Aid contact the Financial Aid office at (435) 797-0173 or at email@example.com
KEEP ON FILE
Keep the following information about your student in a place where you can easily refer to as needed during their deferment:
- A-number (Student ID number)
- Security Phrase (If you have been assigned as a delegate at http://id.usu.edu)
- Leave of Absence Department contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org , and 435-797-1132
- Information about your student’s desired housing including application and payment deadlines
- Leave/Return dates for your student for determining when to sign up for SOAR
PLAN TO REGISTER FOR SOAR UPON RETURN
When your student is about to return from leave, they will need to sign up for our new student orientation program, called Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration (SOAR). As part of SOAR your student will come to USU campus where they will receive information necessary to enroll and succeed in the university setting, as well as register for their first semester of classes. You will also have the option to attend the parent orientation offered on-campus while your student completes SOAR
If your student is on a mission or in the military, or is otherwise unable to attend an on-campus session of SOAR before their first semester, you may register your student for SOAR Online.
The time your student returns from their Deferment will determine when they should register for, and attend SOAR:
|Returning for:||Register for SOAR in:||Attend SOAR in:|
|Fall Semester (August)||March||Summer|
|Spring Semester (January)||October||Mid-November or Early December|
|Summer Semester (May)||March||April|
To sign-up for SOAR you or your student should go to www.usu.edu/soar. If you have problems or questions while you or your student are signing up for SOAR please feel free to contact the SOAR Department at 435-797-0283 or email@example.com.
We thank you for assisting in your son's or daughter's return to USU. We are excited to have your student back as part of the Aggie family. Feel free to contact us with further questions at 435-797-1132 or firstname.lastname@example.org