Leave of Absence & Deferment
DEFERMENT Preparing to Leave – Student
If you are an incoming student who has been admitted but wants to defer your admission to a future date, please refer to the following checklist for your next steps.
FILE FOR DEFERMENT
Once you know the exact dates you will be leaving and returning, you should file for a Deferment online at http://www.usu.edu/loa.
If you will be returning sooner or later than you indicated on your original Deferment request, please contact the Leave of Absence Department at (435) 797-1132 or email@example.com
GIVE YOUR PARENTS PERMISSION
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 prohibits Utah State University from releasing certain personally identifiable information from a student’s record to a third party (e.g. parent, spouse, etc.) without the student’s explicit consent.
Ideally, you should set a security phrase and identify your parents, or another trusted adult, as a delegate so that they will have permission to help you during a leave. Designating a parent or trusted adult as a delegate will give them permission to make changes and act in your behalf while you are on deferment.
NOTE FINANCIAL INFORMATION
- Defer Scholarships..
Freshman and transfer students are automatically considered for USU scholarships when they apply for admission. If selected for a scholarship, you will receive a letter of acceptance and you will need to return the signed form to USU. If you are awarded a scholarship, accept the scholarship, and submitted a deferment at http://www.usu.edu/loa, the scholarship will automatically be put on hold.
If you have been awarded Departmental or Private Endowment scholarships they will need to contact the department/donor directly to defer these specific scholarships.
- Plan Ahead for Financial Aid.. The time you should apply to financial aid is dependent upon when you will begin attending USU. The application for financial aid begins in January for the following academic year, and must be applied for each year. Therefore, if you will begin school in August they should apply in January prior to starting school. The free online application can be found at https://fafsa.ed.gov. This application requires tax information but can serve as a great resource to help you pay for college.
For more information about Financial Aid contact the Financial Aid office at (435) 797-0173 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
KEEP ON FILE
Keep the following student information in a place where your delegate can refer to it as needed during your deferment:
- A-number (Student ID number)
- Security Phrase (If you have been assigned as a delegate at http://id.usu.edu)
- Leave of Absence Department contact information: email@example.com , and 435-797-1132
- Information about your desired housing, including application and payment deadlines
- Leave/Return dates for determining when to sign up for SOAR
PLAN TO REGISTER FOR SOAR UPON RETURN
When you are about to return from leave, you will need to sign up for our new student orientation program, called Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration (SOAR). At SOAR you will have the opportunity to come to USU campus and meet with an academic advisor, meet other new Aggies, and receive information necessary to enroll and succeed in a university setting. If you are still on deferment when SOAR is taking place, you may register to take SOAR online.
The semester you plan to return from deferment will determine when you should register for, and attend SOAR:
For more information and to register for SOAR you can go to www.usu.edu/soar or call (435) 797-0283.
|Returning for:||Register for SOAR in:||Attend SOAR in:|
|Fall Semester (August)||March||Summer|
|Spring Semester (January)||October||Mid-November or Early December|
|Summer Semester (May)||March||April|