Aggies and Cougars Battle For Old Wagon Wheel Friday Night in Provo
Thursday, Oct. 04, 2012
UTAH STATE at BYU
GAME SIX INFORMATION
Date: Friday, Oct. 5, 2012
Kickoff: 8:21 p. m. (MT)
Location: Provo, Utah
Stadium: LaVell Edwards Stadium (63,470)
Series: Utah State trails, 34-44-3
TV: ESPN, Carter Blackburn (Play-by-Play), Rod Gilmore (Analyst), Shelley Smith (Reporter)
Radio: Utah State Sports Network, Al Lewis (Play-by-Play), Craig Hislop (Analyst)
Live Stats: UtahStateAggies. com
Twitter Updates: /USUFootball
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
- Utah State's 4-1 start to the season is its best since 1978 when that Aggie team won its first five games of the year. Overall, USU has won nine of its last 11 games with its only losses during that stretch coming against Ohio (24-23) in the 2011 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, and at No. 22 Wisconsin (16-14) this season.
- Utah State's 9-2 record in its last 11 games under head coach Gary Andersen is its best stretch since going 10-1 during the 1972-73 seasons as the 1972 team won its final five games and the 1973 squad started the year with a 5-1 record.
- Utah State has won four of its last five road games dating back to 2011, including a 1-1 record this year as it lost at No. 22 Wisconsin (16-14) and won at Colorado State (31-19). USU ended the 2011 season with road wins at Hawai`i (35-31), Idaho (49-42 2OT), and New Mexico State (24-21). Overall, USU is 6-15 (. 286) in road games under Andersen.
- Utah State and BYU will be meeting for the 82nd time in series history this weekend in what is the second-most played rivalry in school history. USU's most played rivalry is Utah (110), followed by BYU (81), Colorado State (69) and Wyoming (63).
- Utah State is 5-3 against teams from the state of Utah under Andersen and has won four of its last five games against in-state opponents, including wins this year against Southern Utah (34-3) and Utah (27-20 OT).
- Utah State has 55 players in its program from the state of Utah, while BYU has 43 players on its roster from the Beehive state.
- Utah State has out-scored its opponents 51-0 in the first quarter this year and 85-16 in the first-half as UNLV was the first team to score a first-half touchdown against Utah State. Overall, USU has led at the half in all five games this season and in seven straight games dating back to the Nevada game in 2011.
- During the last two years, nine of Utah State's last 12 games have been decided by one score, while seven of its last 11 games had the winning points scored in the final minute of regulation or in overtime. Overall, USU has won six of its last eight games decided by one score dating back to the 2011 season.
- Utah State is 3-9 in October under Andersen and 3-4-1 all-time in games played on Oct. 5.
UTAH STATE CONTINUES SERIES OF ROAD GAMES AT BYU FRIDAY NIGHT
Utah State (4-1, 0-0 WAC) continues its 2012 season with its third road game in the last four weeks at in-state rival Brigham Young (3-2) Friday, Oct. 5, at 8:21 p. m. The game will be televised nationally on ESPN with Carter Blackburn (play-by-play), Rod Gilmore (analyst) and Shelley Smith (reporter) on the call. Live audio and streaming of the game is also available at www. UtahStateAggies.com. Live stats will be available through GameTracker, while Twitter updates - @USUFootball - will also be a part of Utah State's gameday coverage.
BATTLE FOR THE OLD WAGON WHEEL
Utah State and BYU will be playing for possession of ‘The Old Wagon Wheel,’ the traveling trophy between the two schools. The Old Wagon Wheel became part of the rivalry in 1948. Since its inception, BYU holds a 36-22 advantage in the series and currently holds possession of the traveling trophy after its 27-24 win last year in Provo. USU claimed the trophy in 2010 after defeating the Cougars in Logan, 31-16.
UTAH STATE LOOKING TO WIN BEEHIVE BOOT FOR EIGHTH TIME
With its 27-20 overtime win against Utah already in the books, Utah State can win the Beehive Boot for the second time in the last three years and eighth time since its inception in 1971 with a win against BYU this weekend. USU also won the Beehive Boot in 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1982, 1997 and 2010. BYU has won the Beehive Boot 22 times and Utah has won it 12 times.
Read much more in the full Game Day Notes.
Additional Aggie sports news is available at the Athletics website.