Aggie Football Opens WAC Play at San Jose State this Saturday
Thursday, Oct. 11, 2012
(photo from the Athletics website)
UTAH STATE at SAN JOSE STATE
GAME SEVEN INFORMATION
Date: Saturday, Oct. 13, 2012
Kickoff: 2:07 p.m. (MT)
Location: San Jose, Calif.
Stadium: Spartan Stadium (30,456)
Series: Utah State trails, 13-20-1
TV: ESPN Regional (Altitude), Trey Bender (Play-by-Play), Jay Taylor (Analyst)
Radio: Utah State Sports Network, Al Lewis (Play-by-Play), Craig Hislop (Analyst)
Live Stats: UtahStateAggies.com
Twitter Updates: /USUFootball
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
- Utah State's 4-2 start to the season is its best since 1982 when that Aggie team won five of its first seven games. Overall, USU has won nine of its last 12 games with its only losses during that stretch coming against Ohio (24-23) in the 2011 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, at No. 22 Wisconsin (16-14) and at BYU (6-3) this season.
- Utah State's 9-3 record in its last 12 games under head coach Gary Andersen is its best stretch since going 10-2 during the 1972-73 seasons as the 1972 team won its final five games and the 1973 squad started the year with a 5-2 record.
- Utah State has won four of its last six road games dating back to 2011, including a 1-2 record this year as it lost at No. 22 Wisconsin (16-14), won at Colorado State (31-19), and lost at BYU (6-3). USU ended the 2011 season with road wins at Hawai`i (35-31), Idaho (49-42 2OT), and New Mexico State (24-21). Overall, USU is 6-16 (.273) in road games under Andersen.
- Utah State has won five-straight Western Athletic Conference games, which is its longest league winning streak since the 1999 and 2000 seasons when those two teams combined to win six-straight Big West Conference games. All-time, USU is 18-37 (.327) in WAC play.
- Utah State will begin WAC play on the road for the fourth time in this, its eighth and final year in the league and is 0-3 in road WAC openers. In fact, USU is just 1-6 in WAC openers as its only league-opening win was a 42-17 victory at home against Idaho in 2008. Overall, USU is 27-25-3 (.518) all-time in conference openers including a 10-13-3 (.442) road record.
- Under Andersen, Utah State is 11-10 (.524) following a loss as it posted a 4-4 record in 2009, a 3-4 record in 2010, a 3-2 record a year ago, and a 1-0 record thus far this year. Overall, USU has lost back-to-back games just twice in its last 19 contests.
- Utah State has 55 players in its program from the state of Utah, while San Jose State has 89 players on its roster from the state of California.
- Utah State has out-scored its opponents 54-0 in the first quarter this year and 88-22 in the first-half. Overall, USU had led at the half in each of its first five games this season before trailing 6-3 at the half at BYU.
- During the last two years, 10 of Utah State's last 13 games have been decided by one score, while seven of its last 11 games had the winning points scored in the final minute of regulation or in overtime. Overall, USU has won six of its last nine games decided by one score dating back to the 2011 season.
UTAH STATE BEGINS WESTERN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE PLAY AT SAN JOSE STATE
Utah State (4-2, 0-0 WAC) continues its 2012 season with its fourth road game in the last five weeks as it begins Western Athletic Conference play at San Jose State (4-1, 0-0) Saturday, Oct. 13, at 2:07 p.m. (MT). The game will be televised regionally by ESPN and broadcast on Altitude Sports (Comcast Ch. 61, DirecTV Ch. 681, DISH Network Ch. 410) with Trey Bender (play-by-play) and Jay Taylor (analyst) on the call. Live audio and streaming of the game is also available at www.UtahStateAggies.com. Live stats will be available through GameTracker, while Twitter updates - @USUFootball - will also be a part of Utah State's gameday coverage.
Read much more in the full game notes on the Athletics website.
Additional Aggie sports news is available at the Athletics website.