USU Football Looks to Become Bowl Eligible for Second-Straight Season
Thursday, Oct. 18, 2012
NEW MEXICO STATE at UTAH STATE
GAME EIGHT INFORMATION
Date: Saturday, Oct. 20, 2012
Kickoff: 1:07 p.m. (MT)
Location: Logan, Utah
Stadium: Merlin Olsen Field at Romney Stadium (25,513)
Series: Utah State leads, 29-7
TV: KMYU; Mychal Clanton (Play-by-Play), Kevin White (Analyst), Brooks Hansen (Reporter)
Radio: Utah State Sports Network; Al Lewis (Play-by-Play), Craig Hislop (Analyst)
Live Stats: UtahStateAggies.com
Twitter Updates: /USUFootball
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
- Utah State's 5-2 start to the season is its best since 1982 when that Aggie team also won five of its first seven games. The last USU team to start a season winning six of its first eight games was in 1978 when that group opened the year with a 7-2 record.
- Utah State's 10-3 record in its last 13 games under head coach Gary Andersen is its best stretch since going 12-2 during the 1972-73 seasons as the 1972 team won its final five games and the 1973 squad started the year with a 7-2 record. USU's three losses during its last 13 games have been by a combined total of six points against Ohio (24-23) in the 2011 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, at No. 22 Wisconsin (16-14) and at BYU (6-3) this season.
- Utah State has won six straight WAC games, which is its longest conference winning streak since the 1999 and 2000 teams combined to win six-straight Big West games. The last time USU won at least seven-straight league games was when the 1979 and 1980 teams combined for seven-straight Big West wins. All-time, USU is 19-37 (.339) in WAC play.
- Utah State has won each of its last five home games and is 13-7 (.650) at home under Andersen including a 5-6 (.445) conference record. USU's current five-game home winning streak is its longest since the 1981-82 teams combined to win five-straight home games. The last time USU won more than five home games in a row was during the 1966-68 seasons when those three teams combined to win eight-straight home games. All-time, USU is 118-95 (.554) at Romney Stadium.
- Utah State has 55 players in its program from the state of Utah, while New Mexico State has 12 players on its roster from the state of New Mexico.
- Utah State has out-scored its opponents 68-3 in the first quarter this year and 116-42 in the first-half. Overall, USU had led at the half in six of its seven games this year (trailed BYU, 6-3).
- During the last two years, 10 of Utah State's last 14 games have been decided by one score, while seven of its last 12 games had the winning points scored in the final minute of regulation or in overtime. Overall, USU has won six of its last nine games decided by one score dating back to the 2011 season.
- Utah State is 4-10 in October under Andersen and 8-4-1 all-time in games played on Oct. 20.
UTAH STATE CONTINUES WAC PLAYING BY HOSTING NEW MEXICO STATE
Utah State (5-2, 1-0 WAC) continues its 2012 season with its only home game during the month of October against Western Athletic Conference foe New Mexico State (1-5, 0-2) Saturday, Oct. 20, at 1:07 p.m. (MT). The game will be televised regionally by KMYU (Comcast Ch. 22, Dish Network Ch. 12, DirecTV Ch. 12, Over-the-Air 2.2) with Mychal Clanton (play-by-play), Kevin White (analyst) and Brooks Hansen (reporter) on the call. Live audio and streaming of the game is also available at www.UtahStateAggies.com. Live stats will be available through GameTracker, while Twitter updates — @USUFootball — will also be a part of Utah State's GameDay coverage.
UTAH STATE LOOKING TO BECOME BOWL-ELIGIBLE FOR SECOND-STRAIGHT SEASON
With a win against New Mexico State, Utah State will be bowl eligible for the second-straight season after not playing in a bowl for 14 consecutive years from 1997 to 2012. In all, USU has played in six bowl games in school history (1946 Raisin Bowl, 1960 Sun Bowl, 1961 Gotham Bowl, 1993 Las Vegas Bowl, 1997 Humanitarian Bowl, 2011 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl) and has gone to back-to-back bowl games just once playing in the 1960 Sun Bowl and the 1961 Gotham Bowl.
Read much more in the full game day notes at the Athletics website.
Additional Aggie sports news is available at the Athletics website.