Aggie Football Continues WAC Play at UTSA October 27
Thursday, Oct. 25, 2012
Utah State (6-2, 2-0 WAC) continues its 2012 season with a Western Athletic Conference road game at UTSA (5-2, 1-1) Saturday, Oct. 27, at 12:04 p.m. (MT). (photo from Athletics website)
UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY at UTSA
GAME NINE INFORMATION
Date: Saturday, Oct. 27, 2012
Kickoff: 12:04 p.m. (MT)
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Stadium: Alamodome (65,000)
Surface: Field Turf
Series: First Meeting
TV: ESPN3 — Jonathan Yardley (Play-by-Play), Forest Conoly (Analyst)
Radio: Utah State Sports Network — Al Lewis (Play-by-Play), Craig Hislop (Analyst)
Live Stats: UtahStateAggies.com
Twitter Updates: /USUFootball
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
- Utah State's 6-2 start to the season is its best since 1978 when that Aggie team won seven of its first nine games. Furthermore, USU is 2-0 in conference play for the first time since 2000 when that team won its first four Big West games.
- Utah State has now won at least six games in back-to-back seasons for the first time since the 1996 and 1997 campaigns, and for just the 11th time in school history. The last time USU won at least seven games in back-to-back years was in 1978 and 1979. Overall, it is the 20th time in school history that USU has won at least six games.
- Utah State's 11-3 record in its last 14 games under head coach Gary Andersen is its best stretch since going 12-2 during the 1972-73 seasons as the 1972 team won its final five games and the 1973 squad started the year with a 7-2 record. USU's three losses during its last 14 games have been by a combined six points against Ohio (24-23) in the 2011 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, and at No. 22 Wisconsin (16-14) and at BYU (6-3) this season.
- Utah State's seven-straight WAC wins ties the school record for most league wins in a row along with the 1979 and 1980 teams that combined for seven-straight Big West Conference wins. All-time, USU is 20-37 (.351) in WAC play.
- Utah State has won five of its last seven road games dating back to 2011, including a 2-2 record this year as it lost at No. 22 Wisconsin (16-14), won at Colorado State (31-19), lost at BYU (6-3), and won at San Jose State (49-27). USU ended the 2011 season with road wins at Hawai`i (35-31), Idaho (49-42 2OT), and New Mexico State (24-21). Overall, USU is 7-16 (.304) in road games under Andersen.
- Utah State has 55 players in its program from the state of Utah, while UTSA has 95 players on its roster from the state of Texas.
- Utah State has out-scored its opponents 82-3 in the first quarter this year and 144-42 in the first-half. Overall, USU had led at the half in seven of its eight games this year (trailed BYU, 6-3).
- Utah State is 5-10 in October under Andersen and 8-5-0 all-time in games played on Oct. 27.
UTAH STATE CONTINUES WAC PLAY AT UTSA
Utah State (6-2, 2-0 WAC) continues its 2012 season with a Western Athletic Conference road game at UTSA (5-2, 1-1) Saturday, Oct. 27, at 12:04 p.m. (MT). The game will be available to watch live via the Internet on ESPN3 with Jonathan Yardley (play-by-play) and Forest Conoly (analyst) on the call. Live audio and streaming of the game is also available at www.UtahStateAggies.com. Live stats will be available through GameTracker, while Twitter updates - @USUFootball - will also be a part of Utah State's GameDay coverage.
UTAH STATE BOWL-ELIGIBLE FOR SECOND-STRAIGHT SEASON
With its 6-2 record thus far in 2012, Utah State is bowl-eligible for the second time in as many seasons. In all, USU has played in six bowl games in school history (1946 Raisin Bowl, 1960 Sun Bowl, 1961 Gotham Bowl, 1993 Las Vegas Bowl, 1997 Humanitarian Bowl, 2011 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl) and has gone to back-to-back bowl games just once playing in the 1960 Sun Bowl and the 1961 Gotham Bowl.
Read more in the complete game notes from the full summary on the Athletics website.
Additional Aggie sports news is available at the Athletics website.