USU Men's Basketball Tips Off 2013-14 Season Hosting USC Friday
Thursday, Nov. 07, 2013
USC (0-0, 0-0 Pac-12) at Utah State University (0-0, 0-0 MW)
Friday, Nov. 8, 2013 • 7:05 p.m. (MT) • Logan, Utah
Dee Glen Smith Spectrum (10,270)
Aggie Sports Radio Network • CBS Sports Network TV
GAME DAY HEADLINES
- To tip off its 109th season of men’s basketball, Utah State (0-0, 0-0 MW) will host USC (0-0, 0-0 Pac-12) Friday, Nov. 8, in the Aggies' 2013-14 season-opener. Tip-off is slated for 7:05 p.m. (MT) at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum (10,270). The season-opening contest between the Aggies and Trojans will be nationally televised on CBS Sports Network.
- The Aggies have an overall record of 1,500-1,032 (.593) in its 2,531 games played. USU became the 52nd team in NCAA history to reach the 1,500 total win plateau.
- Utah State is 79-29 (.729) all-time in season openers and has won 18 of its last 19 season openers dating back to the 1993-94 campaign. Under head coach Stew Morrill, USU is 14-1 (.929) in season openers including an 8-0 mark at home.
- USU also is 31-1 (.968) since the 1957-58 season when starting the season at home and the Aggies have won 13 straight games, with its last loss coming against Weber State, 87-86, Dec. 7, 1993. The Aggies also are 47-9 (.837) in their first home game of the season dating back to 1958, winning 19 straight contests.
- USU has won two of the last three all-time meetings with USC, including the most recent meeting, Nov. 24, 1999, at the Maui Invitational in Hawaii, won by the Aggies, 52-50. Utah State is 6-8 overall vs. USC, including 0-1 at home, with the lone meeting coming during the 1961-62 season, won by the Trojans, 74-72.
- While the last current Pac-12 team to play in the Spectrum was Utah in 2010, the Utes were not in the Pac-12 at the time. The last Pac-12 team to face the Aggies in Logan was Washington on Dec. 17, 1977. Overall, USU is 73-54 at home against current Pac-12 teams, bolstered by a 60-51 home record against Utah, while going 13-3 against the other league members.
- Utah State is 125-31 (.801) against teams from the state of California during the last 13 years, which includes a 72-8 (.900) record at home.
- USU is entering its first season in the Mountain West after eight seasons in the Western Athletic Conference. Overall, USU posted a 94-34 (.732) regular-season WAC record in its eight years in the league.
- Utah State posted a 21-10 overall record in 2012-13 and is one of just five teams in the country to win at least 21 games in each of the past 14 seasons along with Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas and Syracuse. Furthermore, it was the 23rd time in school history that USU has won 20 or more games in a season.
- USU has won 63 of its last 72 games (.873) in the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum after having its 33-game win streak snapped on Nov. 30, 2011 with a loss to Denver. That 33-game win streak started after a 37-game win streak was halted by Saint Mary's on Dec. 5, 2009. Overall, USU has won 99 of its last 109 home games (.907).
- Utah State has won 91.0 percent of its home games (224-22) under head coach Stew Morrill, and the Aggies have won 252 of their last 276 games (.913) in the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum. USU has registered a 518-115 (.818) all-time record in its 44th year in the facility.
- Utah State returns four starters and eight letterwinners from last year's squad, including senior guard/forward Spencer Butterfield and senior center Jarred Shaw, who both earned second-team all-WAC accolades and were both named to the conference's all-newcomer team.
Read much more in the full game notes at the Athletics website.
Additional Aggie sports news is available at the Athletics website.