Aggie Football Opens 2014 Season in SEC Country at Tennessee Sunday Night
Thursday, Aug. 28, 2014
Utah State will kickoff its 117th season of college football Sunday, Aug. 31, at Tennessee. The game is televised nationally on the SEC Network (DirecTV Ch. 611, Dish Network Ch. 408, Comcast Ch. 286 in Cache Valley). (photo from Athletics website).
Football game notes.
(RV) UTAH STATE (0-0) vs. TENNESSEE (0-0)
SUNDAY, AUG. 31, 2014 • 5:06 P.M. (MT) • KNOXVILLE, TENN. • NEYLAND STADIUM (102,455)
GAME ONE INFORMATION
• Surface - Tifway 419 Bermuda Hybrid Grass
• Series History - First Meeting
TV: SEC NETWORK
• Play-by-Play - Joe Tessitore
• Analyst - Brock Huard
• Reporter - Shannon Spake
• Online: - ESPN3.com
RADIO: AGGIE SPORTS NETWORK
• Play-by-Play - Al Lewis
• Analyst - Craig Hislop
• Special Guest - Al Smith
• Online: - 610kvnu.com
• National: - Sirius/XM Ch. 91
• Official Account - @USUFootball
AGGIES OPEN 2014 SEASON IN SEC COUNTRY
Utah State opens the 2014 season on the road for the fifth time in the last six seasons and 59th time in program history as it plays at Tennessee Sunday, Aug. 31, at 5 p.m. (MT). Overall, it is the second time in the past four years that USU has begun its season in SEC country as it lost at defending national champion Auburn, 42-38, to start the 2011 campaign. All-time, Utah State is playing an SEC school to start the season for the fourth time in school history, all in the last 16 years, as it also played at Alabama to start to the 2004 season (L, 48-17) and at No. 12 George to start the 1999 season (L, 38-7). Overall, USU is 1-16 all-time against SEC schools with its lone win coming at Kentucky, 35-6, on Oct. 10, 1970.
WHAT TO WATCH FOR SUNDAY
• Utah State enters the 2014 season having won 25 of its last 33 games and those eight losses have been by a combined 48 points (6.0 ppg) as it lost to Ohio (24-23) in the 2011 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, at No. 22 Wisconsin (16-14) and at BYU (6-3) in 2012, and at Utah (30-26), at USC (17-14), against BYU (31-14), against Boise State (34-23) and at No. 24 Fresno State (24-17) in 2013. Those 25 wins are also the third-most in the West behind Oregon (28) and Stanford (26).
• Utah State is 11-5 during its last 16 road games dating back to the 2012 season, averaging 32.7 points per game during that stretch.
• Utah State returns 11 of its 22 regular starters from 2013, six on offense and five on defense. In addition, the Aggies return all three of its kickers from last season. USU also returns 38 letterwinners from a year ago, 17 on offense, 18 on defense and three specialists.
• Utah State has forced at least one turnover in each of its last 23 games dating back to the 2012 season. The last time USU did not force a turnover was in its 31-19 win at Colorado State on Sept. 22, 2012. In all, USU has forced 47 turnovers in its last 23 games (2.04 pg).
• Utah State is one of just nine Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) programs to win at least 20 games and record two bowl victories in the past two years joining Central Florida, Clemson, Florida State, Louisville, Michigan State, Oregon, Texas A&M and South Carolina.
• Utah State received one top 25 vote in the preseason Associated Press poll to tie for 48th in the nation. It is the second-straight year that USU has received votes in the preseason AP poll.
UTAH STATE TRAVELS TO TENNESSEE TO START SEASON
Utah State will kickoff its 117th season of college football Sunday, Aug. 31, at Tennessee at 5 p.m. (MT). The game will be televised nationally on the SEC Network (DirecTV Ch. 611, Dish Network Ch. 408, Comcast Ch. 286 in Cache Valley) with Joe Tessitore (play-by-play), Brock Huard (analyst) and Shannon Spake (reporter) on the call. Live audio of the game is also available on www.UtahStateAggies.com.
SPEAKING OF SUNDAYS
Sunday games are not the norm for Utah State as the Aggies will be playing on the Sabbath for just the fourth time in program history joining the 1971 team that played a pair of Sunday games in back-to-back weeks (Dec. 19, Dec. 26) in Japan against two different Japanese All-Star teams, and the 1978 team that played Idaho State in Japan on Sept. 3.
Read the complete game notes on the USU Athletics website.
Additional Aggie sports news is available at the Athletics website.