With distance classes that date back before 1900, it’s not surprising that USU’s Regional Campuses and Distance Education program has grown to offer nearly 50 degrees, including the state’s only distance-delivered doctoral degree. Today, USU has three regional campuses and nearly 40 education centers. Additionally, USU is the state’s only land-grant institution, providing non-credit classes, workshops, seminars, online tools and more through its Cooperative Extension units in all of Utah’s 29 counties.
HIGHLIGHTS AROUND THE STATE
- Kaysville, Davis County — Utah State University Extension in Davis County developed the 4-H Meat Donation program and Food Pantry Garden that provides thousands of pounds of meat and fresh produce to feed needy Utahns each year.
- Kaysville, Davis County — Wetland Discovery Point at the Utah Botanical Center was awarded Platinum LEED certification, making it the third building in the state to receive this certification.
- Mona, Juab County — USU Extension initiated the “FreeWays to Fuel” program with test plots in Mona. It has the potential to save the state $1.7 million by planting and harvesting biofuel crops grown along Utah’s highways.
- Moab, Grand County — Utah State Extension partners with state agencies to remove invasive species such as Tamarisk along the Colorado River, saving millions of gallons of water every year.
- Panguitch, Garfield County — Utah State University Extension is active in small business development, historic preservation and tourism as part of the Heritage Highway 89.
Regional Campuses and Distance Education:
- Brigham City, Box Elder County — A partnership with aerospace engineering firm ATK provides a pre-engineering program for students at the Brigham City Regional Campus who are interested in pursuing an engineering degree.
- Tooele, Box Elder County — The Tooele Regional Campus recently completed a $2.9 million, 18,000-square-foot addition, which more than doubled the size of the building and tripled the number of classrooms.
- Uintah Basin, Uintah County — The Uintah Basin Regional Campus has experienced significant physical expansion thanks to major gifts from local partners, including a $15 million gift from Marc and Debbie Bingham, which will result in two new buildings that will provide more than 130,000 square feet of new classrooms, offices and research facilities.
- Price, Carbon County — The Price Education Center has seen tremendous enrollment growth, with fall 2008 enrollment up 50% from the previous year.
- Moab, Grand County — Enrollment growth and increased program offerings at the Moab Education Center have led to the addition of the first full-time faculty member for the center.
- Cedar City
, Iron County
— USU works with Southern Utah University in Cedar City to offer master’s degree programs such as psychology with a specialization in school counseling.