Power Outage Notification for USU Main Logan Campus Dec. 30-31
Thursday, Dec. 15, 2011
What: Power outage for many computer systems and websites on the Logan campus
When: Friday, Dec. 30, 3 p.m.–Saturday, Dec. 31, 6 p.m.
Why: Chilled water system that cools the University Data Center and many other buildings is going to be shut down to connect a new building to the system.
The chilled water system that keeps Utah State University’s University Data Center, and many other buildings, cool, will be shut down Friday, Dec. 30, at 3 p.m. in order to add a new building to the system. USU Facilities has indicated that a power outage is necessary during this time. The power and cooling systems will resume normal operations Saturday, Dec. 31, at 6 p.m.
“Without cooling, it will be necessary to shut off most everything in the University Data Center, as it will not be possible to keep it cool,” said David T. Cowley, vice president for Business and Finance.
During the shutdown, the following systems will stay operational:
- Network and basic internet access to and from the Logan campus
- Wired network in all Logan campus buildings
- Logan campus telephone system
- Departmental systems not housed in the University Data Center
- BlueZone Wireless network on the Logan campus
During the shutdown, some of the systems that will not be in operation are:
- Banner including Access, INB, etc
- University and other websites including ezplug, housed in the data center
- Aggies Exchange, and Aggiemail (Email sent to one’s inbox will still arrive. The outage only affects the ability to login and get email during the outage)
- Library systems
- VPN, ID.usu.edu, Aggie Shares, HPC, Databases, Voicemail
- Instructure Canvas and Blackboard Vista login. (If one is logged into Canvas or Blackboard before the outage, they will be able to stay logged-in and use that system)
Additional information regarding this outage can be found online at blog.usu.edu/outage.
Questions regarding the outage may be directed to the Information Technology Service Desk at (435) 797-HELP (4357).
Contact: David Cowley, firstname.lastname@example.org, 435-797-1146