Aggie Football Kicks off 2013 Season at Utah Thursday Night on National TV
Thursday, Aug. 29, 2013
Utah State will kick off its 116th season of football on Thursday, Aug. 29 at Utah at 6 p.m. The game will be televised nationally on Fox Sports 1. (photo from Athletics website)
UTAH STATE at UTAH
GAME ONE INFORMATION
Date: Thursday, Aug. 29, 2013
Kickoff: 6:05 p.m.
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Stadium: Rice-Eccles (45,017)
Series: Utah leads, 77-29-4
TV: Fox Sports 1; Justin Kutcher (Play-by-Play), Petros Papadakis (Analyst), Kristina Pink (Reporter)
Radio: Utah State Sports Network; Al Lewis (Play-by-Play), Craig Hislop (Analyst)
Live Stats: UtahStateAggies.com
Twitter Updates: /USUFootball
Tickets: 1-801-581-UTIX (8849)
WHAT TO WATCH FOR...
- Utah State begins its 116th season of football at Utah Thursday, Aug. 29, and is 506-508-31 (.499) in its previous 115 seasons. USU has nine nationally televised games on ESPN, CBS Sports Network and Fox Sports 1 in 2013 and two more that will be broadcast regionally on ROOT SPORTS.
- Utah State will open the 2013 season with consecutive road games (Aug. 29 at Utah; Sept. 7 at Air Force) for the first time since 2009, for the 24th time since 1960 and for the 29th time in school history. USU is also playing four of its first five games on the road in 2013 for the first time since 2009.
- Utah State is playing Utah for the 111th time in series history, which is the oldest rivalry in school history. The series began in 1892 with a USU win (12-0) and the two teams played one another on an annual basis for 90 straight seasons (1919-2009) minus the 1943 year when neither school fielded a team due to World War II. However, in 2010 the series took a two-year hiatus. Overall, the USU-UU series is tied for the 12th-most played series in the nation at the FBS level and tied for the 22nd-most played series in college football. USU's second-oldest rival is BYU (82 games).
- Utah State enters the 2013 season on a seven-game winning streak, which is tied with San Jose State and Vanderbilt for the fourth-longest active winning streak in the nation behind Ohio State (12), Arkansas State (8) and Stanford (8). That seven-game winning streak is also tied for the third-longest winning streak in school history along with the 1907, 1921-22 and 1965 teams, and the longest since the 1959-60 teams won 10 straight games. The longest winning streak in school history was from 1906-08 when those three teams combined for 13 straight wins.
- Utah State enters the 2013 season having won each of its last three road games and is 7-2 in its last nine road games dating back to the 2011 season.
- Utah State enters the 2013 season having won 16 of its last 19 games, which is USU's best stretch since going 18-2-1 during the 1960-61 seasons. USU's three losses during its last 19 games have been by a combined six points as it lost to Ohio (24-23) in the 2011 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, and at No. 22 Wisconsin (16-14) and at BYU (6-3) in 2012.
- Utah State finished the 2012 season out-scoring its opponents 138-9 in the first quarter allowing only field goals by San Jose State, UTSA and Toledo, and USU was the only team in the country to not allow a first quarter touchdown on the year. In fact, Utah State has not allowed a first quarter touchdown in its last 16 games dating back to the 2011 season. The last team to score a first quarter touchdown against USU was Idaho in Moscow on Nov. 19, 2011.
- Utah State has 59 players in its program from the state of Utah, while Utah has 44 players on its roster from the Beehive state.
Read much more in the full summary at the Athletics website.
Additional Aggie sports news is available at the Athletics website.