George B. Caine Atrium Named in Agricultural Sciences Building
Thursday, Oct. 31, 2013
A portrait of George B. Caine, an important early innovator at Utah State University, now hangs in the George B. Caine Atrium in the Agricultural Sciences Building.
George B. Caine's daughter, Manon Caine Russell, attended the ceremony naming the George B. Caine Atrium in USU’s Agricultural Sciences Building. George B. Caine was an early campus innovator and program head. (photo by Gary Neuenswander)
University officials and family, including President Stan Albrecht, Joyce Albrecht, Manon's granddaughter Addie and Dean Ken White, joined Manon Caine Russell for the formal ribbon cutting of the George B. Caine Atrium. (photo by Gary Neuenswander)
A familiar name on campus, the legacy of George B. Caine, continues to grow.
The George B. Caine Atrium, one of the final additions to the new Agricultural Sciences Building, was officially named October 30 in Logan, Utah.
Born in 1889, Caine studied animal husbandry and graduated in 1912 with a bachelor of science from the Utah Agricultural College. Returning to the UAC after earning his master of arts from the University of Missouri, Caine went on to establish the college’s dairy and become the department head of the Department of Dairy Industry.
Caine’s influence on the university and the community didn’t end there. Caine was involved on several USU Extension projects and also served as a cattle breed certifier for the state of Utah and in leadership positions in the American Dairy Association of Utah and the First Security Bank in Logan, Utah.
Caine died in 1969 leaving behind a rich legacy of service and dedication to his community and area of expertise continued on by his children, George Caine Jr., Kathryn Caine Wanlass and Manon Caine Russell.
Writer: Tiffany Adams, 435-797-7406, email@example.com