USU Student Association
Caine College of the Arts and the Leverhulme Trust…
Join us every Wednesday for fresh organic produce,…
Meet at the Extension Office in the basement of the…
Artisan Aggie Cheese tasting & video presentation…
The fast-paced, witty, irreverent comedy is one of the…
Service-Learning is a credit bearing educational experience in which students:
- Meet community needs
- Reflect on service activities
- Gain a richer understanding of course content
- Earn an appreciation of a discipline
- Develop an enhanced sense of civic responsibility
Benefits of Service-Learning
- Develops deeper understanding of subject matter
- Fosters greater motivation to learn
- Promotes greater self-understanding
- Heightens awareness of community
- Integrates concepts from class into authentic issues
- Provides quality educational experiences in college
- Raises awareness of social issues
- Reduces negative stereotypes
- Increases tolerance for diversity
- Enhances interpersonal skills
- Improves leadership skills
Elements of Service Learning
- Meaningful Service: It’s important that the service-learning project meet a genuine need that is significant and recognized as important by both the participants and the community. The activity can include teaching others, creating a product or performance, providing a service, community-based research, or advocating for change.
- Connection to Learning: Effective service-learning establishes clear learning goals that require the application of concepts, content, and skills from the course and involves participants in the construction of their own knowledge.
- Reflection: Reflection is the term for the processing of these experiences. It can take many forms, including essays, discussions, journals, oral presentations, creating a portfolio or filming a video. When reflecting students should consider:
- What? What service did I perform?, What happened? What was learned?
- So What? What was the result or benefit of the service rendered?
- Now What? What will I do now? How can I continue to serve?