We Want You at USU
Not only do we want to welcome you to Utah State, we also want to help you succeed as an Aggie. In partnership with USU, Straighterline has designed a self-paced online course to help qualify you for admission and ensure you’re prepared for academic life at Utah State. Because your success is our mission.
Your Next Steps
- Apply for admission to USU (if you haven't already done so)
- Read full terms & conditions for the Earned Admission pathway
- Schedule a meeting to talk with your assigned admissions specialist about Earned Admission
- Register with Straighterline and complete the student success course
- Review what's next after admission (orientation, USU class registration, FAFSA, housing)
- Become an Aggie
Deadlines & Timeline
Start today – While you can complete the student success course at your own pace, keep the following deadlines in mind to avoid having to adjust your admission term to a later semester.
|Complete USU application and begin student success course||MAR 15||JUN 15||OCT 15|
|Complete student success course||MAY 1||AUG 1||DEC 1|
Students who complete the student success course after the deadline will be unenrolled from USU courses and may request to have their admission moved to the next semester.
- Qualifying for Admission — Upon completion of the course, you will be admitted in good standing to a four-year program at USU.
- Develop Skills — You will develop skills that will help you be successful at Utah State.
- Earn College Credit — You will earn college transfer credit (equivalent to USU 1730, valued at $1,200) for the student success class you take, but only pay $125 a month rather than full tuition.
- USU Class Registration — You will be able to complete orientation and register for USU classes on time, with your class.
- Student Life — You can sign a contract for on-campus housing if you’d like, so you’re ready to live on campus your first semester and experience Aggie life. Make sure to sign up early to get a spot. (See the housing FAQ for more information.)
The student success course is required, but through our partnership with Straighterline, you also have access to optional English and math prep classes to further set you up for success.
Here to Help
Your online courses come with tools to support your success.
- Progress Checklist: Advance at your own pace and track your progress
- Live Support: Schedule appointments in the platform for assistance
- Student Success Library: Access videos and articles for coursework support
Terms and Conditions
Please note that by accepting this Earned Admission pathway you are agreeing to the following:
- I understand that my admission to the university is contingent on my completing the student success course by the deadline. The student success course is provided by a third party, StraighterLine, and I am not officially a Utah State University student until I begin my first semester.
- I understand that I need to enroll in and begin the student success course by the posted deadline for the semester I wish to enroll.
- I understand that my USU courses will be dropped if I do not pass the student success course by the deadline for the semester I wish to begin classes at USU.
- I understand that I can work with USU to change my admission offer to the next available semester if needed.
- I understand that I am responsible to cancel my StraighterLine subscription after I’ve completed my student success course.
- I understand that I should only sign a housing contract if I feel confident that I can complete the student success course prior to the deadline for the semester. See the housing FAQ for more information.
To participate in the Earned Admission path students must:
- Have a cumulative high school GPA below 2.8
- Be a domestic U.S. student (International students are currently not eligible for this path)
- Be an incoming first-time or transfer student with less than 24 post-high school credits
- Have applied for admission to USU within the past year (Apply at applynow.usu.edu)
- Receive a formal offer from the Admissions Office to participate in the Earned Admission path
For detailed information about the Earned Admission pathway, schedule a meeting to talk with your assigned admissions specialist.
For help with your student success course, please email our Straighterline student support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Be a Domestic U.S. Student. (International Students are currently not eligible for this path.)
- Be an incoming first-time freshman or a transfer student with less than 24 post high school credits.
- Have applied for Admission to USU within the past year. (Please apply at applynow.usu.edu.)
- Have received a formal offer from the Admissions Office to participate in the Earned Admission path. (While lower high school grades will not disqualify a student from being considered for the Earned Admission path, applicants are still required to demonstrate that they meet all non-academic university admissions requirements such as meeting the university’s English proficiency requirement and demonstrating that they can behaviorally be a good citizen at USU.)
It typically takes 70 hours to complete the course and most students complete the coursework over a period of about three months. Some students will choose to complete the optional English and math prep courses as well. All are included in the $125 per month enrollment fee, and you will have excellent online support and resources.
No. You will take the student success course prior to the beginning of classes at Utah State University, so you are not considered to be an enrolled (or matriculated) student while you take this course. You are allowed to prepare for your intended starting semester, right along with your fellow classmates, by registering for classes. You may also choose to sign up for either on-campus or off-campus housing if you feel confident you can complete the course on time (see housing FAQ for more information). Please note that you will be unenrolled from classes if you don’t complete the student success course by the deadline for a given semester, and you will be responsible for any housing contracts that you sign.
After you apply and are offered the Earned Admission pathway, you will be sent an email containing the Earned Admission registration website (see usuearnedadmission.com/pathways/earned-admission). Select the “Enroll Now” button from the home page to register or the “Log In” button on the top right to log in.
Yes, the student success course must be completed with a passing grade by the deadline for the semester you plan to enroll at USU. If you are not able to complete the class by the completion deadline, you can request to move your admission to the next available term. If you are not able to complete the student success course by the deadline, you will be dropped from your USU courses.
Some off-campus apartments may have availability close to the start of the semester, and you can also buy a contract from another student (make sure the landlord or apartment manager is aware of and approves of the transaction).
Only Utah State University students are allowed to live in on-campus housing. Since the Straighterline course is not a USU course, you are not allowed to live in on-campus housing while you complete the course.