Paying for School

As an International Student

Apply to USU

Your Money's Worth

At USU, you'll earn a top-tier education at one of the most affordable universities in the USA for international students. Plus, USU grads have a high job placement rate. It's a low-risk, high-reward investment you will value the rest of your life.

International students are required to show adequate funding available for their USU study before they can apply for a student visa. Immigration laws require international students who wish to study in the U.S. on a F-1 visa to show proof of finances for one year.

Admitted students must provide an official bank statement their sponsor (for example, a family member) or, if sponsored by a government agency, a letter of support on agency letterhead.

The bank statement or letter must:

  • be prepared on bank letterhead
  • be in English
  • be liquid assets (such as checking or savings)
  • include the date the letter or statement was prepared
  • include the full name of the account holder
  • give the type of currency used to report balances
  • give a current account balance

International students are required to have their sponsor complete an Affidavit of Financial Support Form.

International Orientation Fee: All international students (undergraduate and graduate) are charged a one-time orientation fee of $100. This fee will appear on your student account with your tuition and fees once you have registered for classes and covers the materials provided at international orientation (two books, ID card, bag, multiple meals, access to orientation leaders, etc.) Regardless if the student attends the mandatory orientation or not, the fee will be charged and the materials will be provided to the student. There is not a way to opt out of this one-time fee. 

Estimated Costs for Fall 2022 & Spring 2023

Costs are for 9 months, Fall and Spring at 12-18 credits per semester.

Expense Academic or IELI Fall Spring
Tuition & Fees** $26,706 $13,353 $13,353
International Student Fee $250 $125 $125
Living Expenses $6,222 $3,111 $3,111
Personal Expenses $7,702 $3,851 $3,851
Total $40,880 $20,440 $20,440
*Dependent Costs: spouse $6,790 per academic year, each child $4,546 per academic year. These estimated costs are updated annually and may change without prior notice.
****The estimated costs are based on the regular tuition and student fees. Based on your program, there may be additional differential tuition or program fees. These costs may change without prior notice. Students must bring or have access to sufficient funds to pay their expenses for at least the first semester. After arrival, a checking account can be opened so various expenses can be paid conveniently and safely.

Estimated Costs for Dependents

Expense Spring & Fall Fall Spring
Spouse* $6,790 $3,395 $3,395
Child** $4,546 $2,273 $2,273
Total $11,336 $5,668 $5,668
*Spouse calculated using the difference between shared and married housing, additional insurance, and $150 additional a month for food and incidentals.
**Child is calculated using the difference between married housing and 2-bedroom housing, additional insurance, and $100 additional a month for food and incidentals. For estimated costs regarding additional children, contact

International Student



Afton Tew Scholarship

New freshmen and transfer applicants with an evaluated minimum GPA of 3.90 are automatically considered for the Afton B. Tew International Student Scholarship.  This scholarship will provide $1,000 of non-resident international tuition per year.  All admission application materials must be submitted to USU by the advertised semester deadline. All international applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency prior to admission.

Learn more about the Afton Tew Scholarship

Departmental Scholarships

Several departmental scholarships are available for international students. The dates to apply and scholarship amounts differ with each department. Generally, you can apply for departmental scholarships when you have been accepted into your program, which is usually in your third year of study.

Research Departmental Scholarships

International Nonresident Tuition Waiver (HB118)

This waiver removes the non-resident portion of tuition allowing you to pay only in state tuition and fees. To qualify for this waiver you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be lawfully admitted in the United States
  • Attend a Utah high school for at least 3 years
  • Graduate from a Utah high school

If you have already graduated from high school, you must submit a final high school transcript with your graduation date posted along with your application. If you have not yet graduated, you must submit your current Utah high school transcript and a letter from a school administrator (see application) stating that you have met their graduation requirements.

This is only a summary of the application. Please direct any questions to the Office of Global Engagement at

Apply for HB118 Waiver

Alumni Legacy Nonresident Waiver

The Alumni Legacy Non-Resident Waiver was created to help children and grandchildren of USU alumni follow in their family's footsteps and become Aggies! If you have a parent or grandparent who graduated from Utah State University, you can apply to have the non-resident portion of your tuition waived.

Application Deadlines:

  • Spring: November 1
  • Fall: August 1

Apply for the Alumni Legacy Nonresident Waiver

Other Helpful Information

International students at Utah State University can work part-time on campus up to 20 hours a week. Once you have been admitted and receive a student number (A-number), you can search for jobs. Make sure to set up an appointment with the Office of Global Engagement for an Employment Authorization Verification letter. 

There are also a variety of general U.S. scholarships for international students at International Scholarships.