Utah State University Logo
Old Main Society

On March 8, 1888, the Utah Territorial legislature passed a bill establishing a new college to be built in Cache County. A little over a year later, on July 27, 1889, a group of territorial officials gathered to lay the cornerstone for the first building to be erected on the campus of Utah State University and to dedicate a promising, if then remote, new institution of higher education. It was a dignified and momentous occasion in the history of Utah education.


Today, more than a century later, the university projects a panorama of progress that would have astounded the pioneer founders, with prospects of even greater advancements to come. The raw campus of 1889 is now clothed in green lawns and spreading trees. The original building has been joined by more than 100 others, including a vast expansion of regional campuses, exemplifying the land-grant mission. The initial nine-person faculty has grown to more than 800. And the first student body of 22 has swelled to more than 25,000.


The original building, now called Old Main, remains rooted to the foundations of the school, an enduring symbol of the original commitment of the university to the pursuit of excellence. Old Main, affectionately remembered by succeeding generations of students and characterized by the tower bell, has been a distinctive aspect of Utah State University for all who have walked its halls as students, faculty, or guests.


The Old Main Society was established in 1967 to recognize those individuals who have been alert to the challenge of the founders and assisted the university through their gifts of private money which augment our public funds.


Utah State University thanks and honors those individuals willing to contribute their resources for the future of Utah State University.

Contact

Old Main Society
1420 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT  84322-1420
stephanie.williams@usu.edu
435-797-1334

About Us Annual Giving Planned Giving Donor Relations Alumni Relations Ways to Give
University Advancement || 1420 Old Main Hill Logan, UT 84322-1420
Phone: 435-797-1320 or 1-888-OLD-MAIN (653-6246) || Fax: 435-797-1364