The Lyon, Maas, Mueggler Outdoor Leadership Scholarship is aimed to help students pay for their Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification course. The scholarship will pay 50% of the tuition fee toward the Desert Mountain Medicine WFR or WFR re-cert course hosted by Outdoor Programs annually during winter break.
The scholarship is named for three young men who died in an avalanche in the Bear River Range East of Logan on January 12, 1997.
Max Lyon, Keith Maas, and Karl Mueggler were exceptional athletes, noted for their climbing, kayaking and back country skiing abilities, among their many other outdoor talents. The true measure of their impact on the world, however, lay beyond their seemingly insatiable spirit of adventure.
While they were alive, Max, Keith and Karl took a leap beyond just adventure into that greater world of human richness, human imagination, human kindness, compassion, and commitment. They were always driven to somehow make a difference in whatever course their lives took at the moment. They weren’t just adventurers: they were educators, outdoor activists, voices for community, committed professionals and all-around good people. This scholarship was set up as an attempt to continue that legacy.
Read more about Max, Keith and Karl and the avalanche that took their lives in this Herald Journal article.
• Must be a current full-time student with minimum 2.5 GPA
• Must submit a one page resume showing commitment to outdoor leadership
• Must submit an original written composition not to exceed 800 words that includes the following:
- Your personal beliefs and views on outdoor leadership.
- Identification and description of your personal outdoor ethic using examples from experience.
- Your intended use of the WFR training.
- How you will contribute to the development of the outdoor recreation community through your leadership.
NOTE: The written composition should attempt to embody the spirit of Max, Keith, and Karl, using the summary about them above as a guide.
Applications will be accepted during the month of September and are due by 5pm(MST) on October 1st. A link will appear below when applications are being accepted.