Elementary Mathematics Specialist (EMS): Cert
Utah State University's online Elementary Mathematics Specialist (EMS) Certificate is designed for graduate students and professionals to strengthen their mathematics content, pedagogy and leadership knowledge and expertise to serve as leaders in elementary mathematics. As outlined in the Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE) standards, Elementary Mathematics Specialists are "teachers, teacher leaders, or coaches who are responsible for supporting effective mathematics instruction and student learning at the classroom, school, district, or state levels."
Students who complete the EMS Certificate program will receive a graduate-level certificate as an Elementary Mathematics Specialist that is aligned with national standards. The program is offered completely online. Participants may complete the 24-credit EMS Certificate in one year. USU's EMS Certificate is available as a stand-alone program, and is also complementary to USU's Master of Education degree. In addition, USU's EMS Certificate is complementary to the Elementary Mathematics Endorsement and the Elementary Mathematics Specialist Endorsement awarded by the Utah State Board of Education.
- Cert - Logan, Beaver, Bicknell, Blanding, Brigham City, Castle Dale, Cedar City, Cortez (CO), Delta, Ephraim, Heber City, Junction, Kanab, Kaysville, Moab, Montezuma Creek, Monticello, Monument Valley, Nephi, Orem, Panguitch, Park City, Richfield, Roosevelt (Uintah Basin), Salt Lake, St George, Tooele, Tremonton, USU Eastern (Price), Vernal (Uintah Basin), Wendover, Online
- Please review our state authorizations to see if this program is offered in your state.
- International students studying at USU on the F-1 or J-1 visa must have the majority of their classes each semester be face-to-face in order to meet the physical presence requirement to maintain their visa status. Students on the F-1 visa must enroll in classes at the Logan or USU Eastern campuses. Students on the J-1 visa must enroll in classes at the Logan campus.
For online offering:
- Mathematics Education Specialists
- Mathematics Curriculum Coordinators or Directors
- Math Instructional Coordinators
- Elementary Math Coach
- Applicants go to applynow.usu.edu and choose the Graduate Application
- GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 credits
- Transcript showing the completion of a bachelor’s degree
- Documentation of Teacher Certification
- Documentation from a supervisor showing at least three years of successful mathematics teaching experience
- $25 application fee
- Apply and be accepted into the EMS Certificate program.
- Register for and complete the 8 required graduate-level courses in the program.
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA in all program courses (grades below C will not be accepted).
- Complete all courses in the EMS Certificate program within 8 years.
- Complete the 24 credits of required courses. All courses applied to the EMS Certificate must contain a TEAL prefix.
- Abide by the Code of Policies and Procedures for Students at Utah State University.
Professor, Mathematics Education and Leadership Programs Director
Office: ECERC 318
Phone: (435) 797-2597